Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14" rain tires

The change was related to tire compound being used. I know they had a supply of the older versions still in inventory. Maybe there's a date you could check on the tires?

It's interesting that you like the radials more. I used the dirt stockers for the first time last year and was simply amazed. I've used the radials in the past too, but it could be that the tire compound broke down and has become ineffective comparibly.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

My Hoosier wets were left out in the truck over winter and at least one has bad cracking at base (or whatever is the part that isn't treaded) I am looking for a cheap replacement for the wets. I would like something that will act as an intermediate tire too. It looks like the Hoosier won't work well in anything besides a really wet track. What tire do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
    Steven
    1989 ITA Honda Civic Si
    Washington D.C. Region

Really?? I don't agree with that at all especially the radial wets. Heck, I've thought about using my older set for HPDE drys.
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Really?? I don't agree with that at all especially the radial wets. Heck, I've thought about using my older set for HPDE drys.
    Dirt stockers wouldn't last more than a session in the dry. They actually start to melt and it feels like your racing in the rain! Even as an intermediate they would be a poor choice.

The radials will last longer but not more than a few sessions in the dry. I have used the radials as an intermediate and they are awesome. Probably the best option in my opinion.

Stephen

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying dirt stockers would hold up long in drying conditions for long.
    Dave Gran

What is the price of a new set of Hoosier radial Wets? Hoosier doesn't seem to like putting the price on their website.

Thanks,
    Steven
    1989 ITA Honda Civic Si
    Washington D.C. Region

In they past they listed a suggested retail price, at least I thought. They are the manufacturer and typically all tires are sold through their vendors, so I'm not totally surprised that pricing isn't listed. Appalachian tire (www.racetire.com) didn't list pricing but www.Philstireservice.com does.
    Dave Gran

Thanks Dave! They better be fast if I have to pay that much.

Steven
    1989 ITA Honda Civic Si
    Washington D.C. Region

Default rain tires

I took a set of victor racers and took my grooving iron and made one hell of a set of rain tires. We were the fastest crx in a pouring rain at Road America.