Thread: Main hoop location vs the GCR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Main hoop location vs the GCR

I have an E30 325E 4 door, starting to consider prep for going to CR school. My first step will be to strip and cage it. Looking at the GCR, 9.4.B.1.a: "On all closed cars, the main hoop must be as close as possible to the roof and “B” pillars."

If I run the main hoop against the B pillars I will have to use a bent harness bar. I would much rather run the main hoop a few inches further back against the back of the rear of the rear passenger footwell, basically where the body goes vertical for the rear seat "platform." My reasoning for this is to keep the harness bar straight and in plane with the main hoop along it's entire length.

Question is, is it legal to run the main hoop a few inches rearward of the B pillars? I'd also shoot an email to a tech guru, if I knew who I should be emailing.

Thanks.

Post photos of the car to describe what you want to do.

The ultimate goal is to have the main hoop as close as possible to the driver. If you're a bit behind the B-pillar with the driver sitting back, that's likely fine, and vice versa. If the main hoop is reasonably close to the driver you should not have any issues.

As a general reference, draw a line from the top of the hoop to the base of the windshield; if the driver's head is below that line you're probably OK.

Ultimately, however, a local inspector will have to review your cage design and sign it off, so it is in your best interest to contact your local tech guys and work with that person prior to cutting/bending tubing.

GA

I have an e30, and my main hoop is further back. My main is actually slightly behind the B pillar and my harness bar is straight. I suggest you mount your seat and let your cage builder go from there. Location should/must depend on seat position. CB
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

NASCAR style door bars are hard to deal with in this situation also.

GKR, very valid point that I will be sure to examine.

Thanks for the replies, gents. I will be consulting with my local tech inspector.

I noticed your location... We recently built a car and our main hoop actually stands ON the rear seat hump/shelf... Our was log booked in the NE and has since seen one annual since. There has been no issue, not even a mention of it.

My co driver is damn near 6.5' tall so it helps with leg room a lot!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"