Thread: Any central Connecticut drivers want to show off your car and get a few new fans?

New Britain, Connecticut, U.S. Local Track: Lime Rock Park

Post Any central Connecticut drivers want to show off your car and get a few new fans?

Hi guys,

Hope it's not too much to be asking publicly but I'd like to know if anyone would be kind and willing enough to represent with a little bit of road racing promotion in Newington, CT on April 2.

I have jobs at Lime Rock and with the Skip Barber Racing School besides volunteering for all NER and some other SCCA events but there's not much work in the winter (yet), so the past few years I've been employed at PETCO Animal Supplies for the colder months. They've got a nice event which they try to associate with motorsports called the Hamster Ball Derby, and it's quite what it sounds like.

Kids and families show up with their little rodents in plastic balls and race them down a four-wide track!

I wanted to bring together my occupations so I arranged for LRP to award tickets, apparel and goodie bags for the winners and participants, along with authentic signage and even the winner's circle backdrop. You can see photos from last year's fun at the facebook event page. Dave Gran and Kai Noeske, Stephanie Economu, Jeff Lawton and Grant McStay were very nice to have helped out in 2010, leading us to host 16 derby competitors with their families in addition to the regular shoppers.

We're fortunate to have a lot of space in the parking lot out front and adjacent (the Office Depot next door closed a few years ago) and it is a good opportunity to show the locals (who I'm convinced haven't seen much of anything like this) what our events consist of - cool cars and people. Kids really enjoyed getting to sit in the drivers' seats and receive autographs and "battle stories".

This is only a one day thing and not particularly high-volume (the store does have the most people around on Saturdays though, especially considering the dozens not there to shop or participate in the derby but to get vaccinations for their dog or cat), so I'd like to ask if anyone with a short tow distance would be able to help represent Lime Rock's SCCA-style road racing.

The place is at 188 Kitts Lane, just off the Berlin Turnpike and quickly reached from Routes 9 and I-91 from the south, and I-84/I-91 via Route 15 from the north.

If you can't make it, I hope to see you at LRP or NHMS come springtime!

-Trevor
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    "Don't genius live in a lamp?"
    -Patrick Star
    NER Board Member

Hey Trevor,

I have gotten your e-mails and apologize for not responding. Life's been a little crazy. I'm not sure my car will be even able to roll, let alone start by then. I would love to do it again but I just don't want commit and then not show up.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Great idea!! Anything we can do to let people know we exist!!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

I did this last year and it's a great idea. Kids and adults certainly were interested.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I don't think the car will be ready by then, but if it is, I would love to bring it.

Hi Drew, glad to hear so. I don't want to create extra work for anyone with this, so if the car will roll onto/off a trailer I think everyone would be happy to see it! Chris, any chance you want in? If desired I could even volunteer to tow (slowly) for people if they have work Thursday/Friday, etc.
    Last edited by Magical Trevor; 03-09-2011 at 05:37 PM.
    -Patrick Star
    NER Board Member

Not to get too OT, but do you guys delineate Connecticut into central, eastern and western? What I mean is like do you say "Oh! That's all the way over in western Connecticut. That's too much of a haul"?

When I look at the map it does not look as if the whole state is bigger than say North Atlanta.

No offense, just curious.
    Tom Sprecher

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
    Not to get too OT, but do you guys delineate Connecticut into central, eastern and western? What I mean is like do you say "Oh! That's all the way over in western Connecticut. That's too much of a haul"?

When I look at the map it does not look as if the whole state is bigger than say North Atlanta.

Too funny! Yes, relatively compared to other (most) states that is silly. I think Trevor was looking for people with an easy tow
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Simon, I am in Michigan until early April so that is a no go for me... I'll let you know if things change
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

CT is huge! it is at least double the size of RI! JK
    It is a pretty small state, with is fair share of traffic though. I feel like it is also one of those states that you cant get here from there or there from here... But then again I am not a local and usuaaly just drive through as fast as I can!

Is this event in all stores or just CT? Maybe next year a few of us around New England can plan ahead and go to several "local to us" locations. I know I have a few stores within an easy tow.

Stephen
    (from NH)

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post

Yea, but,
    A: There's usually traffic or road work.
    B: A bridge has collapsed somewhere (I was on the Mianus River Bridge in a school bus loaded with a race car a half hour before the I95 bridge collapsed)
    C: All the roads are missing a lane. Because they were built to correct size for the traffic of 1966
    D: All the roads aim between NY and Boston. If you are at the RI border(SE) and want to go the NW part of the state, take a helicopter.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Hi Trevor,

Sorry can't do this year, I have moved down to Baltimore. Also, the car has some unsightly scratches that I still need to rattle-can!
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

Tom, a part of it is also what we're accustomed to. A friend of mine who grew up in WA thought nothing of driving 1 1/2 hours to go to a movie theather or several other places. In CT, things are not as spread out. Plus the highway system isn't ideal in getting to several places around the state, which relates to what Jake said.

Or we're just lazy. lol
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Yeah, I know in the grand scheme of a race season "central CT" might as well be a few cents' worth (well, not this upcoming year) of the overall haul, but this non-racing event may not be worth a long run (though maybe I'd like to hope so! If at least to present as well as we did last year...)

Stephen, this is a nationwide event, and I'm sure it would surprise your local store if you wanted to spice it up for them; I'm just doing it here since this is like my hometown location teaming up with my home track.

...Simon?
    Last edited by Magical Trevor; 03-09-2011 at 05:38 PM.
    -Patrick Star
    NER Board Member

Lol! Sorry Trevor! Some kinda F'd up brain fart I guess...
    Last edited by CRallo; 03-09-2011 at 10:30 PM.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"