Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob here few questions on my options.

Default Noob here few questions on my options.

Hello IT
    I currently own a 4wd 91 civic wagon and I would love to build it for use in some type of amateur racing.
    What options to I have on the engine/drivetrain and what class would I be put in?
    Engine:
    Is any type of motor swap legal?
    Is any form of boost legal?

Drivetrain:
    Would I be better off with a 2wd?

If your serious with your request please go to the following site. This is what the SCCA calls the General Competition Rules. For the Improved Touring Category Specifications go to page 383, read & follow through to the car class specification lines & see if there is a place for your car.

http://cms.scca.com/documents/2011%2...%20version.pdf
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Welcome!

Have you done any HPDEs yet? If not, I'd suggest starting there.

If you're ready for Club Racing, I'd strongly recommend that you look at purchasing an already built car. Especially in this economy, there are some amazing deals out there. Basically, I personally wouldn't build that particular car into a race car.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Your best bet would be to buy an already-built Civic or CRX. It's going to sound like an expensive proposition - think $4000-7000 for a solid starter car, depending on details - but it will be cheaper than building your own.

K

PS - Love those wagons!

1 - definately go read the rules. the GCR lists all of the required safety stuff toward the front, and the various classifications toward the rear. this is a good site to ask Impoved Touring and Super Touring questions (ST has a subforum here).

curently, your wagon is not classed, but the Civic EX, Civic Si, and CRX Si of the same generation and motor (the wagon has a D16A6, right?) are, all in ITA. AWD cars were recently allowed, so you should be able to get a classification for yours if you ask (go to www.crbscca.com and fill out the request form. include copies of factory manual pages showing all of the major specs for your car). this is a great category with a relatively simple set of rules that is restrictive, so you have less to do, buy, etc... to get on track. the category is competitive, and the sister cars to yours are among the best in the class.

if you prefer motor swaps, then check out Super Touring (STL or STU). I don't know what you could do with the AWD wagon (maybe a B-series with B20 CRV driveline?) but that's the place where you could do it.

I'll check that out.
    Thanks for the quick response.

Sweet ride btw. Love it! have you swapped motors already? Do you run boost? Can you converted from 2wd to 4wd?

For the group, are wagons even allowed to club race? I don't think so.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Definitely check out the GCR first then decide what class interests you.

As said, do some track days if you haven't yet. I will say BUY a car. Sadly it took me too long of a time to learn that despite what people said. It's cheaper and so much easier.

If you want to build your wagon, I would start off with the mandatory safety gear first (cage, seat harness, kill switch, etc.) and then worry about go fast modifications but I have no idea what class that would even run in.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    Sweet ride btw. Love it! have you swapped motors already? Do you run boost? Can you converted from 2wd to 4wd?

For the group, are wagons even allowed to club race? I don't think so.
    Yeah I always thought wagons weren't allowed but I've seen a couple. I guess they aren't as welcomed because of the extra glass or something?

if you like the ruleset of IT but you don't see your car listed on the classification pages, don't get too concerned, we can work with you to find a class for it to race in.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Wow.. thanks for the overload on responses. I wasn't sure how much traffic this site has.
    I have been browsing around and buying a car would be the smartest (inexpensive) way to go.

..and the questions on the wagon. It is still a rt-4wd but I have had a IT-R, B20vtec in it. Bought a k20 a while ago and never got around to doing the swap, now its back to stock form, d16a6.

If you want opinions, you came to the right place Also, where are you located?
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

I'd like to add that dave (gran racing) has a great website with alot of info on getting started in racing. hint it's in his sig.
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

the awd wagons are great;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ZzqBPz4sY[/ame]

since you are well versed in the hondas, the 88-91 crx would be great. there was one well prepped ef 4dr a while ago. that platform has some interesting advantages (longer wheelbase, same engine and so weight as the crx and larger brakes).

or look into the integras as well.

if you are into the engine swaps, then STL might be more to your liking.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Several of us form this form are helping people out through a mentor program which is totally free to join. It's a nice compliment to posting stuff on this chat forum. As Steve said, there's a link in my signature where you can join it.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I'd like to recommend that you don't buy a car, built it. For me, the money spent and respent on the car that I built does not come close the the experience value gained by building it. I would not build a car where the money spent comes from credit.

If you are looking to get into racing in a 'right now' kind of way or cash is not on hand (double, at least, what you think it will cost you to built it) then buy one.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I am located in south east Texas.
    I'm not looking to just jump in right away, I am being very patient about getting into racing but I want to start planing ahead and know what I'm getting into.
    I have never been big into any form of racing, but I have always had a soft spot for road racing.
    I am a naturally a car guy, if that transfers into any real world racing ability IDK, but I would like to take a shot.
    There is a school in Austin called Driveway Austin that I considered looking into, anyone know of the place?

Also while I'm thinking about it, why don't I see any impreza RSs? Didn't they allow old school imprezas last year?
    Last edited by servanter; 02-09-2011 at 11:23 AM.

What part of Southeast TX? that's a lot of acreage.

there are road courses all over the place down here. Angleton, San Marcos, Austin, Fort Worth, Decatur, Cresson, Hitchcock, and supposedly one coming near Katy and another in Weatherford.

There's lots of stuff going on at Harris Hill Road in San Marcos, as well as at MSR Houston. the other tracks aren't quite as busy, but they're not as close to huge cities either.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by servanter View Post

Also while I'm thinking about it, why don't I see any impreza RSs? Didn't they allow old school imprezas last year?
    AWD vehicles were just added to IT last year.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Beaumont, Tx

I'm sorry.
    In that case, you can also toss in the track they're building in NOLA right now as well as No Problem Raceway south of Baton Rouge.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7