View Poll Results: Should non-USDM motors be allowed in ST?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO - USDM only

23 38.33%
  • YES

30 50.00%
  • Allow on a case by case basis

7 11.67%

Thread: Should NON-US motors be allowed in ST?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It doesn't matter what rule people make or what device you use to try to keep people within those rules, there will ALWAYS be someone that tries to cheat.

I'm not sure how you need to "calibrate" a GPS. I use them all the time in survey work and there's no calibration needed. It's a pretty simple device that spits out a location and a time. you then chart time elapsed, distance traveled, enter the car's weight, and you can calculate a horsepower number based on those three numbers. throw in transmission ratios if you want as well. If they're 100hp off, then it's because the operators aren't doing something right. Physics doesn't lie.

If you're getting a rise of 5' across the straight at sebring, then there's something else in the GPS unit- accelerometers or something as well.

As for the dyno fooling, that's a matter of policing and proper test methods. you can make any dyno read what you want it to read with tricks like heat soak and multiple computer programs and everything else. proper impound/testing would solve that.

But then again, for every rule you make, there's some unscrupulous bastage out there that tries to circumvent it. I see the same in SCCA too.

cheating a dyno test is as simple as reading non-drive wheelspeed as an indicator for advance or a fuel table. if the non drive wheels are sitting still on the dyno then the ECU never leaves low power mode. hard to catch without having a tuner there.

lots of ways to cheat in IT too.... For every rule that says "you can't ______" there's been someone who has or is now...
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    cheating a dyno test is as simple as reading non-drive wheelspeed as an indicator for advance or a fuel table. if the non drive wheels are sitting still on the dyno then the ECU never leaves low power mode. hard to catch without having a tuner there.
    I'm pretty sure the car I ran aginst at NASA Nationals 2 years ago had that set up in his ECU. Car was smoking fast on track but laid down a pretty unimpressive dyno number.
    Ian
    #16 STU S2000 with a K24(and still over weight)