Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Seat Back Brace Question

The brace that came in our new car:

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Ca...EAT-BACK-BRACE

That's as far as I step into this discussion!
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

Default Seat Suggestions

I am building a Miata for possibly ITA, Spec or SSM. I haven't chosen a seat yet because I have alot of the same concerns as you people. Any suggestions as to what, SAFE, comfortable seat to use? It will have to be on rails, because the car may be hot seated at HPDE's. I'm also not wealthy so, please spare me the big money butt pads. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the1jbh View Post
    I am building a Miata for possibly ITA, Spec or SSM. I haven't chosen a seat yet because I have alot of the same concerns as you people. Any suggestions as to what, SAFE, comfortable seat to use? It will have to be on rails, because the car may be hot seated at HPDE's. I'm also not wealthy so, please spare me the big money butt pads. Thanks
    no matter what you decide on, if it's on rails, it needs to have a back brace according to SCCA. first, I'd look for a set of double-locking rails a'la sparco in place of the factory bits. I prefer FIA seats, but you're into $2k+ stuff if you want one that has provisions for a back brace built in (RaceTech, the 4009W/HRV is the least expensive). so the second option is to find a seat you like and can afford, then fabricate a back brace following the logic in this and similar threads - don't drill into composites, distribute the load, and if at all possible, build in a fail point to allow it to deform with the seat flex.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    I'd look for a set of double-locking rails a'la sparco in place of the factory bits.
    Steve Linn just put a set up for sale:

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=34408

The other possibility is if the prime driver is the taller one you can use a booster pad for the shorter second Hpde driver. I use an aluminum seat in my car and I am the bigger guy so we have a pad that goes under and behind my team mate.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Steve Linn just put a set up for sale:

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=34408
    Not anymore - sold to someone not club racing....
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    The other possibility is if the prime driver is the taller one you can use a booster pad for the shorter second Hpde driver. I use an aluminum seat in my car and I am the bigger guy so we have a pad that goes under and behind my team mate.
    I often wonder how wise this is. a good, non compressible insert would be fine, sure. but if the "pad" allows significant deformation, this opens a big can of worms, particularly in a hard rear-impact.

again - it's a "good idea" without enough caveats to make it clear to those who don't already know better.

I'll tell you, figuring out the seat issues, the HnR issues and so forth sure does give one pause....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

It'd be wiser if we all sat in front of a TV and played sims, but alas, we like the smell.

I can't figure out how the SCCA can on the one hand insist upon unilateraly breaking homologations by adding braces or ignoring expirations, leaving so much material safety to the competitor and stewards to judge for worthiness while not enforcing any standard besides (seats) - And on the other hand to be so attached to a single industry standard (HNR), with seeming 100% inflexibility. It's particularly odd given the inter-relationship between the two pieces of equipment: A failed seat leaves an SFI 38.1 HNR useless. (hybrid pro possibly being the exception, but you'd still be loose in the belts)

I know they feel that these decisions are in our best interests - but WTF? do they think it all through or is it a matter of different task forces reporting their findings and not workign together for a cohesive ruleset?
    Last edited by Chip42; 04-25-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: I apparently had too many hands

Exactly, Chip. Then add that, to my eye at least, the thing that's actually killing more drivers...and has the potential for far more collateral damage*....is individual health issues, and the physical standards we must attain are anything but well defined and strict.

* A driver that flies off track an strikes an object will suffer injuries as a result of an incident...but one who has a seizure of some sort while racing is the cause of an incident that can wind up injuring other drives, or worse, workers and spectators. If the club is so worried about the legal ramifications of allowing non SFI head and neck restraints, I'd think they'd be far more worried about the potential lawsuits that could result from an out of control car mowing down people in the pits after a race when a poor driver suffers a health incident.

So, on one hand I see we are being absolute in our insistance on adhering to the ridiculous SFI head and neck standard, stating that the club "Does not want to set standards", on another hand we're crafting illogical rules regarding seats while allowing, or even encouraging, seats that meet standards to be modified in ways that the manufacturers prohibit, and on a third hand we turn a blind eye to the 800 pound gorilla of actual recurring deaths.....

It's easy, for me at least, to get annoyed when one argument is used to defend for one subject but isn't even considered for another....but it's hard for me to aim my anger, because I know the club is made up of volunteers, and each does the best he can with what the club gives him. But you get the feeling that there's no central logic sorting going on at times.*

*And yes, I know I'm boiling things down, and some issues are complex, but when the end result makes little sense and the results are at odds with the goal, something needs to be fixed.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 04-25-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Still haven't made one, it's sort of my last thing to do before tech and the ARRC. I'm glad I read more though, my seat is fiberglass and drilling into it is a bad idea, right? So what are my options? The rules say it has to be firmly attached, any recommendations?

Urethane--3M Windoweld.

barba Guest

You have to be very careful in attaching your seat and make sure that the placement of your seat is comfortable enough to the driver.