Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ITR car: S2000 or something else?

I'll sell you mine!

UhhhhG! Been running into issues getting the motor built (mostly an engine builder taking his sweeeeeet time), not being able to find replacement parts for the transmission, and having a hard time getting a shorter gear properly installed.

It's been a month (or two) of FAIL lately. At least I think I have gotten most of the additional weight out.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

I've got a spare transmission if you need it Tristan.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Tristan you can't sell that thing, it's WAY too cool.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Smith
    I'll sell you mine!
    You obviously missed the word if in my previous statement

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Smith
    UhhhhG! Been running into issues getting the motor built (mostly an engine builder taking his sweeeeeet time), not being able to find replacement parts for the transmission, and having a hard time getting a shorter gear properly installed.

It's been a month (or two) of FAIL lately. At least I think I have gotten most of the additional weight out.
    What is it they say, whatever doesn't kill you...just pisses you off more...or something like that...

Sorry to hear about all the issues. I was (still am) hoping to see that car at VIR in May.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I've got a spare transmission if you need it Tristan.
    It's probably got the same issues that mine does. Nissan (or whomever actually built it) put soft synchros in the boxes. Consequently it is hard to find a tranny that isn't crunchy going through the gears. While I can get new synchros, finding new coupling sleeves so far, are like hen''s teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    You obviously missed the word if in my previous statement

What is it they say, whatever doesn't kill you...just pisses you off more...or something like that...

Sorry to hear about all the issues. I was (still am) hoping to see that car at VIR in May.
    I hear ya. Some days I am ready for stamp collecting. But don't worry, I am aiming to get to VIR in May.
    Tristan Smith

Tristan,
    Let me know exactly what parts you need. I have a few contacts in Houston that might be able to help out.

All else fails, I have a Z32 tranny that I could part with.. Never used it myself, but the guy I bought it from said it worked great when he pulled it.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

There have been a couple of Type Rs floating around that have been fast.

Ricky T's Z3 2.8 is pretty quick.

I've seen a couple of slow RX8s, and a middlin' E30 M3.

Definitely the three frontrunners to date are the 325, the 944S2 and the Type R and of those, i think the 325 is still the one to beat.

Pretty amazing that car was in ITS at just one hundred lbs heavier......

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    I doubt you'll see one in ITR; the car is too heavy to make weight, and it would need to hit all the specs (weight & HP) to have any chance in that field. The car really belongs in ITS.

To the original question; I don't think anything other than the 325 and 944 have really been proven yet, have they? That said, if I had the $$$ to build a full-tilt ITR car I would look hard at the 300ZX.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    Tristan,
    Let me know exactly what parts you need. I have a few contacts in Houston that might be able to help out.

All else fails, I have a Z32 tranny that I could part with.. Never used it myself, but the guy I bought it from said it worked great when he pulled it.
    Thanks Matt, and Jeff too.
    I can find the synchros, but need to find the coupling sleeves (or "sliders"). So far no luck. Riley did find some kit that had the 2/3 coupling that cost 900.00 bucks!
    Tristan Smith