Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rental Costs

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Are you talking an enduro season?

See my note on your other thread. I was able to do a full season for $5K in a 944 when I first started. Was I slow? Hell yeah!! but I was out there having fun and learning. I'd have to look back but I think I had a couple of seasons in my ITB rabbitt for about the same. But I was also lucky I had no major failures or crashes.

You don't EVEN want to know what I spent this past season to win the NARRC championship..............

If you want to do the responsible thing financially? Don't race.......... We're all whacked to be doing this..........
    No I added that up not even including enduros, that was just six IT races and also included my school weekend and the cost of what else I need to finish the car which isn't much though probably around $300 worth so that didn't really make the price so high. lol

I really don't care about being fast out of the box, I just want to race! I've been trying too long!

Well I'm already semi-irresponsible for sure for even considering it . Sometimes the smart side of my head tries to prevent me from doing things, it probably won't ever win but...

$5k for a season is more reasonable, the only thing that made the price go up was the driver school I'm doing is in Daytona which is a good distance, if I get waived a second school sweet, if not, the next one I've seen is in Homestead...$$$ Road Atlanta is only 45 minutes away from home so that's nothing, I just want to be sure I complete my licensing requirements after school which is two regionals right? Then four if you want a national license?

I always feel there is a lump to go over and then it's easier to plan out. It's the getting the car finished, the schools, etc. that make it sound so hard! Once all that is done I'll sleep in a tent at the track and eat hot dogs all weekend to save some money and race.

Hot dogs? Living large, you are! Ramen noodles over an open fire is the food of the young Jedi.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Hot dogs? Living large, you are! Ramen noodles over an open fire is the food of the young Jedi.
    I've tried to force myself to like Ramen noodles and just cannot do it. Every now and then I can eat them, I have loads of packs just in case times get real hard though.

Having done the enduro owner thing since the early '90's, here's a couple of comments. I don't think there is a problem using your sprint car for enduro's as long as you are willing to accept the compromizes needed to make it a capable enduro car such as a heavy large fuel cell. My enduro car has always been my sprint car, in fact I always run a sprint race in my car before the enduro just to make sure its a reliable car and ready to go. Something that you will have to commit to though if you are going to enduro race your car is an aggressive package of maintenance and spares. Something like an engine and transmission rebuild every season, to keep ahead of the gremlins. The point is, if you are going to be asking people to commit money and time to run in your car, you need to accept the responsibility of doing everything you can to assure that the car will be reliable. Its no fun for anybody to go to the effort, then break a hub, clutch, axle, header etc. An endurance race is like planning to run a race season with no repairs and maintenance. If you don't prep needed to make that happen, you don't have fun.

On the money thing, I must be hanging with the wrong crowd but its really hard to find IT racers with the money to do their own racing, much less drop $2k for an enduro weekend. Be prepared to underwrite the cost of your friends. At the same time, I figure that most of my drivers cannot afford to write a check for $6k if they wadd your car up so I don't worry about insurance anyway, what I do worry about is how long they havebeen racing and what's their record. If the driver has 30 races under their belt, few or no DNF's with no major hits, they will probably be fine. Beware of the rental driver who is a 2 year wonder who divebombs every corner, no amount of insurance protects you from someone that doesn't get the maxim "to finish first, first you have to finish". I think picking co drivers who have demonstrated ability to always bring the car back is the biggest success factor in endurance racing. I'd far prefer having a driver in my car who pays $1200 and always brings it back straight than a driver who writes a $2500 check and who's hard on equipment.

The last thing, unless you are looking at this as a business, select co drivers that you like and are pleasent to be around. Its a team thing, figure out how to find drivers who will all be smiling at the end of the weekend regardless where you place. It tough to win these races, if you can't win every one, you might as well have fun.

I guess my point is, the only reason to run your own car is if you truly believe you can do better organization, prep and development than the guy you would rent from. Unless you own a race prep shop, its almost impossible to make money renting rides out. If the idea of running your own car is that it will be cheap racing for you, I don't think its possible. If you want to save money, my suggestion you will be money ahead renting a ride.
    Last edited by Bob Roth; 02-13-2011 at 10:37 PM.