Thread: Dog Box dilemma..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Now we're talking some sense! I even called the Jerico guy and talked to them earlier this week, they said my only option was a 5 spd w/ overdrive. never mentioned flipping the shift arm like that. I could care less about a pit gear- the engine makes enough torque that I can get moving pretty easy. the big issue is being able to run an OD so I can get away from having to spend another $1500 on another differential.

Thanks for the info- you just made my day!
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 02-10-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Call Scott at Taylor http://www.taylor-race.com/ - they really know their stuff and are just a few hours north of you.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Under no circumstances call Taylor unless getting boned up the ass is your idea of a good time. Nobody will run you into the poorhouse quicker. There are many Jerico builders in the North Carolina area. You have been warned.
    Chris

Yeah, talked to Scott on Monday or Tuesday. he suggested a Sierra 5 spd they've had on the shelf for umpteen years. hmmmmm- more than I paid for the whole car...
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Well... If its been on the shelf for years, then I think the should let it go mad cheap!

Had to laugh at the differing reviews! No shop can keep everyone happy... And of course the more expensive ones must be better right? lol
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

They're still selling it for "about what we paid for it just to get it off the shelf" but it's still more than I paid for the car & cage & suspension.

I've heard very mixed reviews about Taylor as well. I have a place here in town that can do any work that I can't do myself, but it's nice to be able to get parts close to home. I may just use them for parts as needed and leave the detail work to a local engine & tranny shop.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Small update for anyone who cares..
    Found a deal on a GForce GF4A over the weekend and bought it.
    the gearing is a bit off, but I figured I'd have to do a bit of reconfiguring anyway.
    for the price I paid for it, I can replace all of the gears in it, custom bellhousing adapter, clutch, flywheel, etc, and still be ahead over buying a new Quaife or Taylor box!
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Can we run dog ring boxes in STL? I am still looking for all the do's and don't for STL.
    Keith V