Thread: Racing Harness - SFI / FIA question

Default Racing Harness - SFI / FIA question

Good morning,

The belts on my car are a few years out of date so I will have to update them before the season starts. I read a few forum articles here on FIA vs SFI 16.1 rated belts and the FIA belts seem like the better deal with the 5 year rating vs the SFI 16.1 2 year approval.

My question is what happens when a belt has both ratings? There are two "economy" 6 point camlock harnesses available: G-force and Schroth. The G-force belt only list FIA approved. The Schroth belt lists both SFI and FIA tags are on the belts. If the belt has a FIA rating and a SFI rating which one is used for "good till" date.

For reference these are the belts off of Saferacer:

http://www.saferacer.com/schroth-clu...productid=2140
    http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-pro...?productid=953

Here is Schroth's page on the Clubman harness listing both FIA and SFI tags are attached under the homologation drop down:

http://www.schrothracing.com/store/C...an/clubman-III

G-force has separate part numbers for the FIA and SFI approved belts.

For some additional info I will be using a DefNder HNR which lists it is compatible with both 2" and 3" shoulder belts. Trying it on with the current 3" Simpson belts in the car the belts seem to fit fine.

Any advice on purchasing a harness would also be appreciated.

Thank you!

-Sean

Quote Originally Posted by darthmonkeyIT View Post
    Good morning,

The belts on my car are a few years out of date so I will have to update them before the season starts. I read a few forum articles here on FIA vs SFI 16.1 rated belts and the FIA belts seem like the better deal with the 5 year rating vs the SFI 16.1 2 year approval.

My question is what happens when a belt has both ratings?...
    The GCR is clear on this:
    GCR 9.3.19.G: 3. If a restraint system has more than one type of certification label, the label with the latest expiration may be used.

Dave

In the case of both certs, you would use the FIA tags.

I have the G-force FIA 6pt and have been happy with it, although I would prefer the lap belts to be a pull-up instead of pull-down. Of course that kills the FIA rating so I deal with it. I just have the lap belts set to where I have to exhale and squeeze to get them buckled, then I don't mess with the lap tensioners.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Another affordable option out there that has both certs: http://www.soloracer.com/racequipbelt.html

We just picked up a Racequip camlock for our car, and I personally liked the feel of the engagement of the clips in the camlock unit more than the G-force unit.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

or maybe just replace the SFI tags. IMPACT might have some extras.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    or maybe just replace the SFI tags. IMPACT might have some extras.
    Doh!
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

One item to take into account is that G-force has a re-web program. ~$100 I got another 5 years on my G-force harness. Really great dealing with G-force staff. Couldn't be easier, and most affordable option.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

i bought a cam belt a bit ago for the sake of the 5 year FIA but am disappointed in it.

the old latch and link was oriented better for pulling the straps tight within my seat. i think my next set of belts will be a pull 'up' style instead of pull down.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

The G-Force re-web program is $109 and they will convert my SFI pull ups to FIA pull downs for the same price.

wadabagin!
    Tom Sprecher