Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NARRC 2011 all races count???

Default NARRC 2011 all races count???

http://narrc.com/rules.html

Darn....with 12 races (11 + double points runoffs) I would have
    hoped that we could drop a couple, only counting the best 9 or so...
    it is going to be difficult for everyone to make all these races, and so
    the championship becomes more of a participation award

or I am missing a line in the rules?

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by lawtonglenn View Post

http://narrc.com/rules.html

Darn....with 12 races (11 + double points runoffs) I would have
    hoped that we could drop a couple, only counting the best 9 or so...
    it is going to be difficult for everyone to make all these races, and so
    the championship becomes more of a participation award

or I am missing a line in the rules?

You are not. I wrote e-mail after e-mail after e-mail to the NARRC Committee about how bad of a decision I thought that was. They refuse to correct it no matter what the drivers say they want. I refuse to believe that a series that could end up in an 'attendance award' helps the series one single bit.

I told them, they refused.

Write your letters I guess. [email protected]

I suggested the best 8 of 12 races.

I even offered to RUN the NARRC series and get a committee together...if there were voting members who really didn't give a crap about the series or their votes. No response. Sad really. I bet the NARRC and Pro IT could join forces up here in the Northeast and really put something great together.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Not totally true Andy, I was more than willing to turn it over! I even suggested it to you!
    Jerry
    NER South

Letter written to [email protected]. Everyone please feel free to
    copy and send under your own name.

"Dear NARRC Committee:

I think it is a mistake to count all 12 races (11 + double points runoff) for
    the championship. This opens the very real possibility that the championship will
    become a prize for perfect attendance. In my opinion, that would degrade the
    importance of a NARRC championship, now and in future years.

I recommend that the championship points be changed to "the sum of the points
    earned in the best 8 finishes".

Respectfully Submitted,

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NERRC ITS Champion 2010 / 2009 / 2008
    NERRC STU Champion 2010
    NARRC ITS 2nd-2010 / 3rd-2009"

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

7 weekends for 11 events (NARRC Runoffs is double points)

1) Rounds 1&2 on May 7-8 at Pocono hosted by NNJ Double (w/Pro IT)
    2) Rounds 3&4 on May 28-29 at NHMS hosted by NER (Double)
    3) Round 5 on June 18 at LRP hosted by NER (Single)
    4) Round 6 on 6 July 2 at LRP hosted by MoHud (w/NNJ) (Single)
    5) Rounds 7&8 on July 23-24 at WGI hosted by Glen (Double (w/Pro IT))
    6) Rounds 9&10 on August 20-21 at NJMP Thunderbolt hosted by NNJ & SJR (Double)
    7) Round 11 September 30-October 1 at LRP hosted by NYR (Double Points)

make it so you drop a weekend or 2 not by events.

Also: NARRC winner stickers for 2011 - do we want a smaller version of the NARRC oval with a 2011 winner rocker on the bottom? I'll have what ever we decide at Pocono then get them to the regions so we can have these at each event.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

So what happened to 50% plus one to qualify fror the championship? Oh yeah and you need more than xx point to qualify as well. Seems as though the rules have about as much stability as water,or are we taking notes from the NASCAR play book and changing the system just when we figured it out.

Dan
    2010 11 races 11 wins,no NARRC Championship.
    Missed something in the rules about qualifing for a championship

No more points to qualify. Hey Dan, there's a seat on the NARRC committee waiting for you.
    Speaking of seats......There is a drivers rep. seat available on the committee! ANYONE??
    Jerry
    NER South

What's the reasoning for the rules package? Who's on the committee?
    I'll admit, that most years I don't bother running for the NARRC championship. (OK, I did try once), but I can tell you any temptation has been removed now. (But, I'm probably not the guy that they're trying to attract.)
    Still, it's really just a 'show up most often' trophy now. I just don't see the depth of drivers to have a real competition over so many rounds.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Some say participation, some would say consistency...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    No more points to qualify. Hey Dan, there's a seat on the NARRC committee waiting for you.
    Speaking of seats......There is a drivers rep. seat available on the committee! ANYONE??
    EDIT: how up to date is this committee page? http://www.narrc.com/committee.html

Which position is currently open?
    Last edited by mossaidis; 01-22-2011 at 01:12 AM.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

The position of Divers Rep is open. I resigned this past winter when I saw the rules package developed by the committee with (what appeared to me) to be virtually zero consideration from driver input.

The committee is made up of the RE and Race Chairman of each of the Regions that make up the NARRC Series. In MOST cases, these people don't race anymore and in my opinion, are not in touch with the realities and economics of todays racer landscape.

I have indeed volunteered to take over the NARRC Series, it's admin, the race scheduling, etc but only Jerry even commented. I figured that if they didn't really care to listen to the drivers, then I was wasting my time and effort.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by CRallo View Post
    Some say participation, some would say consistency...
    Take a look at the results from 2010 and tell me that....
    Andy Bettencourt

I "thought" last year it was the same thing right up until the beginning of the season when they threw in "the best of" part??
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Take a look at the results from 2010 and tell me that....
    No matter what, participation will be a factor... Atleast this way a two course horse, or someone that either wins or breaks/wrecks every race won't be able to steal away the championship.

From the NARRC committee's point of view, I'm sure there are those who believe that such a requirement will encourage people to attend more events and therefore bring more money to the series. The 64 dollar question is... will it turn off more people than it encourages to enter more events?

That said, I'm mostly playing devil's advocate and speaking for the other side... I am mostly undecided at this point
    Last edited by CRallo; 01-22-2011 at 12:39 PM.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Is NARRC even relevant anymore?

Seems like it had more stature in days of old. Now, it feels like NERRC has gained some momenteum and NARRC is falling off.
    Maybe because of the way the NARRC rules have gotten to be??
    Just my perception of it I guess......
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

Quote Originally Posted by StephF View Post
    Is NARRC even relevant anymore?

Seems like it had more stature in days of old. Now, it feels like NERRC has gained some momenteum and NARRC is falling off.
    Maybe because of the way the NARRC rules have gotten to be??
    Just my perception of it I guess......
    Steph,

To me, the NERRC is a Championship you win either by accident or just by doing NHMS as a local. No disrespect intended but it's a one-track deal.

The NARRC has fallen off in recent years IMHO because there were too many events. This years schedule is dang near perfect - except there are no drops.

Chris,

Requiring 5 events minimum, 8 max eliminates any one-trick ponys - requires you to go to a few tracks to win.

If I were king, there would be no more than 2 events at any one track and in order to get to a Championship, you would have to do 5 events - and then that would require at least 3 tracks.

This year - as always - the Pocono race is on Mothers Day weekend. Tough to 'require' eveyone to be at that race. Or else you are potentially 600 points down with no way to make them up. Just doesn't make sense. We have to allow for people to have real lives. Look at last years points and see who actually ran all the races.

I like quality vs quantity...now there is a point where they can meet - and I think that is 8 of 12 races. Some classes were won by people who never won a race. No disrepect to Lawton, but he only won one race. He ran more than double the events that everyone else ran. Now he is damn fast and deserves to be Champion, but he is the exception to the rule. There are some week Champions in there - and this new points system only promotes that more.

Devil's Advocate or not, we have to ask ourselves what we want NARRC to be - if anything. What makes it a 'strong' Championship? Lot's of tracks, lots of members from all over the Northeast and full fields. How do you do that? I submit it's NOT by having peple look at the schedule in Jan, KNOW that they can't get to 11 or 12 races and choose something else. But if it were attainable or they had 4 events they knew they were going to and only needed to go to one more double to make an impact on points...then you might ave something.
    Andy Bettencourt

I'm with Andy. I was hoping to focus on NARRC this year (a rarity for me; I've always just planned my race calendar according to which weekends were free), but spending Mother's Day Weekend at Pocono is an absolute, lead-pipe-cinch, 100%, cue-the-"Odd-Couple"-theme non-starter for me.

I understand how tough it is for a region to grasp, then hold, a race, so you won't catch me whining about the fact there's an event that weekend. But to make it a points-paying race in a series in which there are no drops, well, that's disappointing.

Other than this lousy rule, this year's NARRC schedule is damn near perfect. I suppose you could grouse that 3 races are at LRP and none at NJMP-Lightning, but the organizers have done a fine job spreading things around geographically and by date. More's the pity.

For any NARRC folk reading with an open mind: color me another advocate of 5 events min/8 max.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    The position of Divers Rep is open. I resigned this past winter when I saw the rules package developed by the committee with (what appeared to me) to be virtually zero consideration from driver input.

The committee is made up of the RE and Race Chairman of each of the Regions that make up the NARRC Series. In MOST cases, these people don't race anymore and in my opinion, are not in touch with the realities and economics of todays racer landscape.
    There seems to a drivers rep from each region, hence my question. Are you referring to a NARRC drivers rep (other than the ones from each region)?
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

I think, in this economy, that it's very tough to be FAST ....AND go to every event. Being fast requires talent, and money, for tires, testing an such. Going to EVERY race requires money, and scheduling freedom from family obligations and work. So I think it's VERY unlikely ANY class, other than maybe SM and SRF, will have more than one candidate...at best...who has both capabilities.

So, it's going to be a crap shoot. Some classes will absolutely be the "participation award", and others might go to the fast guy, because others just didn't show up. I remember years ago, the system was similar, except the tracks were more Lime Rock centralized, and an ITA driver won it. I was new, and shocked that she did, because she was never in even the top 5 at any race! I remember thinking, at the time, "Pfffft, why bother with that, it's obviously a hollow victory". Later the system was changed and I decided to go for it one year.

On the surface, a no drop strategy does strike me as a way to DIScourage people from attending NARRC events. I mean, if it isn't feasible, (and for most guys/gals these days, attending that many events is impossible...we don't live in the old world where if hubbie said, 'we're going racing this weekend', the wife and kids piled in the Suburban and went to the track. Miss a kid soccer game??Unpossible!) ...and it is going to be a joke IF you win it, why bother trying at all? Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm going to go to the cool tracks with the cool events that my buddies are going to and just have fun.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 01-22-2011 at 04:27 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    There seems to a drivers rep from each region, hence my question. Are you referring to a NARRC drivers rep (other than the ones from each region)?
    Yes, the NARRC drivers rep.
    Andy Bettencourt