Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
complies with IT or complies with ST.

there was a situation last year where a protested ITS car (kershaw, may?) decided to duck the protest by switching to STU. tech had him remove his factory rear spoiler to comply (which I don't believe was something he should have had to do, even in STU rules at that time). I don't know if he had a fire system, but I feel pretty confidently that his oil pan drain plug was not safety wired. interesting one because it was "an IT car" that theoretically conformed to IT rules, but contention on the second point was why he had to run STU. so I guess he should have been required to be 100% in compliance with STU. as it wound up he was a hybrid.

point is - there was, and is, a lot of confusion out there as to what STU rules allow / require and how the IT crossover works.
By my eyes, it looks more like the confusion is more about who's going to complain. The rules are reasonably clear, 9.1.4.B says your IT compliant car can run STU, if it's not IT compliant then you have to assume you must comply with STU rules.

On the other side, just about any IT crossover won't be able to compete with a full on STU car. I guess someone who is trying to win in STU with their ITB Golf, could protest an ITS BMW for not having a fire system, or a washer bottle and win, it's kind of a weenie move IMHO.

My original post was more to confirm my reading of the rules.