Thread: STx Notes, February Fastrack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but does this mean that a Turbo WC car can run it's VTS sheet + 5% but without the STU sized restrictor? And I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but the VTS sheet does not mean they have to run Toyo's does it?
    Ian
    #16 STU S2000 with a K24(and still over weight)

as I understand it, if you run "to the VTS sheet" you run EXACTLY what's on that list (no more, who cares if you run less) and run the greater of VTS indicated weight +5% OR the STU weight +5%. this is NOT well explained for turbos because without an TIR, there's no "STU" weight.

what's your turbo's inlet ID? you could use that I guess. I'd write to the STAC for turbo VTS weight clarification.

Chip's right: it means if you're running on a VTS sheet (including any required restrictors/boost limits), you run that weight +5%. And it's intended that tire make/model is free, not required to be Toyos (VTS does not specify tires, that's part of the appropriate Appendix A).

I'd have to look into the VTS of specific cars, but generally speaking turbo cars in 2009 Touring were classified pretty heavy (the 1.8L A4 was 2900, for example)...add 5% to those and they should not be a factor. But, if we find an outlier, you can be assured it will be restricted in some fashion back into place...

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    as I understand it, if you run "to the VTS sheet" you run EXACTLY what's on that list (no more, who cares if you run less) and run the greater of VTS indicated weight +5% OR the STU weight +5%. this is NOT well explained for turbos because without an TIR, there's no "STU" weight.

what's your turbo's inlet ID? you could use that I guess. I'd write to the STAC for turbo VTS weight clarification.
    No turbo. I was just wondering.
    Ian

I've seen you in so many cars I just don't try to assume I know what car you might be taling about.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    I've seen you in so many cars I just don't try to assume I know what car you might be taling about.
    Nope, I drive whatever is offered but no turbo cars are offered.

Turbo cars worry me. I've got a solution but it basically involves making them uncompetitive and sending them to STO.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsideways View Post
    Turbo cars worry me. I've got a solution but it basically involves making them uncompetitive and sending them to STO.
    I think you're trying to overcomplicate things. given the inlet restrictors required, there's a definite limit on available power, which is pretty close to the same max power as you could build with an NA engine running the equivalent displacement.

i.e. my 2.4L KA24DE engine *could* be built to 300whp with about $15,000 in work. That would go in my 2640lb car. An SR20DET with 36mm inlet restrictor in the stock turbo (Garrett T28) could theoretically flow enough air to make about 300hp max according to a tech that works at Garrett.

So I wouldn't be too worried about being killed by the turbo engines. You're still limited by the same damn inlet restrictors that the GT guys despise.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    I think you're trying to overcomplicate things. given the inlet restrictors required, there's a definite limit on available power, which is pretty close to the same max power as you could build with an NA engine running the equivalent displacement.

i.e. my 2.4L KA24DE engine *could* be built to 300whp with about $15,000 in work. That would go in my 2640lb car. An SR20DET with 36mm inlet restrictor in the stock turbo (Garrett T28) could theoretically flow enough air to make about 300hp max according to a tech that works at Garrett.

So I wouldn't be too worried about being killed by the turbo engines. You're still limited by the same damn inlet restrictors that the GT guys despise.
    See the issue is it doesn't limit the tq. And Tq can be darn near as potent as HP. If you limit boost people figure out a way to hide the amount of boost shown. My personal opinion is we should put a restrictor on the Oil feed line to the turbo it can have all the air it wants... for a few seconds.... Kidding!

Now here is an interesting Idea. Can you take a Turbo Motor and remove the Turbo and run it under N/A rules. Specific idea I had was a Volvo S80 Turbo motor it's a 2.8L 6 cylinder. The N/A's S80's are 2.9's. Ditch the turbo and put high compression pistons in it and put it in a earlier volvo. Say a 142. Be a TON of work but it's an idea.
    Ian