Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: February Fastrack

Default February Fastrack

Wow! Hall must've frozen over!
    Adjust ITB MR2 from 2525 to 2430
    I need to do my math, but assuming it's right, that's a major change.
    Thankyou ITAC and CRB.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I read that math as this:

112*1.25*17+50 for mid-engine.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
    IMPROVED TOURING
    Should the current Improved Touring wheel diameter restrictions be removed or otherwise adjusted? Please let us know your preferences. (Current restrictions on wheel widths would not change.)
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I'd be interested in hearing the basis/reason for that request. 15" wheels are probably the most-common, and thus relatively-least-expensive, size in aftermarket racing wheels one can find. You start going to something bigger and you're talking significantly less-available, significantly heavier, and significantly more expensive.

If anything, I'd say dump the width restrictions. But diameter?

Some cars may see benefit from smaller than stock wheels - ITB Suzuki Swift for example.

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    Some cars may see benefit from smaller than stock wheels - ITB Suzuki Swift for example.
    Is that the true underlying reason/basis here? To go smaller than stock? I'd find it hard to believe there's enough demand for that to rationalize changing these rules...

Just wonderin'.

Interesting requests to move down to ITS from ITR (MX-5 and Boxter). I think the Mazda is right in ITR, but can see why the question was asked, but the Porsche? Come on, no question that one belongs in ITR.

It came about this way. Someone with a car (I can't remember make but it is not in ITR) claims that only 16X7s came on the car. So technically he can't run his stock wheel size (I believe only ITR has the allowance for max 17" diamater OR stock, whichever is larger).

That prompted a discussion about wheel size and one of the points made is exactly what Grafton said -- diameter on a wheel is basically cheap gearing.

I'm presonally opposed to the change but willing to listen. Opening up width is where the dollars are in my view. Diameter might have some impact on handling due to sidewall size and strength of various profile tires, but overall, not a lot of change (in my opinion) to performance other than, again, cheap gearing.

I don't see a need, but let's hear what others have to say.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Is that the true underlying reason/basis here? To go smaller than stock? I'd find it hard to believe there's enough demand for that to rationalize changing these rules...
    I bet a lot of folks would like to run really large wheels, if only for appearances. On first thought, I don't have a problem with the idea since I don't think there is much to gain down that route (other than improved gearing options).

Think about it practically as well.

It's probably not easy to find a 18X7 wheel for example.

Kind of "meh" on this one, but let's hear what people think.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The ITA four cylinder Z3 only came with 16x7 rims in this country, and it's been allowed to run that size in ITA. The problem is that 16" tire choices are limited when compared to 17" tire choices...

Was probably one of the newer ITB chassis. If it's just one more example, I say add a spec line exception.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    WHAT DO YOU THINK?
    IMPROVED TOURING
    Should the current Improved Touring wheel diameter restrictions be removed or otherwise adjusted? Please let us know your preferences. (Current restrictions on wheel widths would not change.)
    What was the website again to give member feedback?

Personally I see no performance impact from removing the restriction on wheel diameters. Different overall diameters to adjust gearing are already allowed, if the desired aspect ratio is available for that particular width. Bigger rims are heavier and slower, by all means allow them. Allow them for the same reason that big brake kits were allowed for solo/autocross competition. No performance advantage, potentially a performance disadvantage. But it increases the appeal to the tuner crowd who struggles to understand the arcane SCCA rules.

I would love to run a 13 on my 84 GTI.... Cheep, I have wheels, and I might be able to use 5th.....
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

for those running stiff rear springs, the added rim diameter would EDIT: RAISE the spring rate of the tire by reducing sidewall.
    Last edited by mossaidis; 01-21-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

ITx comments only - I'll go vent in the ST areas as needed.

1. - the MR2 weight change. great to see motion on this. unfortunately, while a 95# drop is good, by "process" it's still very heavy. I'm affraid that some motion in the right direction might end up keeping it from getting all the way to where it "belongs" in terms of hp/weight as it will be seen as "fixed." the car "should" be 2260# - i think we would all be happy at 2350, or 5hp optimistic.

2. - wheel sizes: the ITC VW beetle is the most discussed of the new breed of small cars with big wheels. find a >15" diameter x6" wheel. currently, going smaller is not allowed, so such cars would be stuck with rare/custom ($$$$) or stock (###) and also have to run larger ($$$) tires than much of their competition. obviously, this is more true for ITB/C. in all classes, the ability to pick wheel sizes is "cheap gearing". again - it can go sideways here, like anywhere else, if someone is willing to throw down the moolah. so it goes in racing. I say open it up.

and on EP - Greg Ira wrote in requesting a re-weigh and the response is "no, but we'll adjust this stuff instead..." I laughed for about 5 minutes before I could get to reading the list. -50# to a bunch of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    ITx comments only - I'll go vent in the ST areas as needed.

1. - the MR2 weight change. great to see motion on this. unfortunately, while a 95# drop is good, by "process" it's still very heavy. I'm affraid that some motion in the right direction might end up keeping it from getting all the way to where it "belongs" in terms of hp/weight as it will be seen as "fixed." the car "should" be 2260# - i think we would all be happy at 2350, or 5hp optimistic.

2. - wheel sizes: the ITC VW beetle is the most discussed of the new breed of small cars with big wheels. find a >15" diameter x6" wheel. currently, going smaller is not allowed, so such cars would be stuck with rare/custom ($$$$) or stock (###) and also have to run larger ($$$) tires than much of their competition. obviously, this is more true for ITB/C. in all classes, the ability to pick wheel sizes is "cheap gearing". again - it can go sideways here, like anywhere else, if someone is willing to throw down the moolah. so it goes in racing. I say open it up.

and on EP - Greg Ira wrote in requesting a re-weigh and the response is "no, but we'll adjust this stuff instead..." I laughed for about 5 minutes before I could get to reading the list. -50# to a bunch of stuff.
    Greg asked that the Miata have 113 pounds ADDED. Instead, he got 50 pounds REMOVED from 4 cars, and 100 pounds removed from the 260Z. I THINK Greg's a Datsun guy, and it's a memory stretch, but I think he's a 260 guy, so if my very hazy memory is correct, he kinda sorta got what he wanted, well, within 13 pounds, LOL

Regarding the MR2-. Andy's math is no doubt correct, and well, I think there is no way, nada, zilch, zeeeero, zed chance that the 25% factor will get lowered for that car, even if god himself presents dyno sheets from 5 engines and all ITAC guys witness the builds and dyno runs.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Ira runs a nationally competitve (he's finished second at the Boreoffs a number of times) 240z (not 260).
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post

Funny, because you can't fit a smaller than 15 on a New Beetle.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com