Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
It came about this way. Someone with a car (I can't remember make but it is not in ITR) claims that only 16X7s came on the car. So technically he can't run his stock wheel size (I believe only ITR has the allowance for max 17" diamater OR stock, whichever is larger).

That prompted a discussion about wheel size and one of the points made is exactly what Grafton said -- diameter on a wheel is basically cheap gearing.

I'm presonally opposed to the change but willing to listen. Opening up width is where the dollars are in my view. Diameter might have some impact on handling due to sidewall size and strength of various profile tires, but overall, not a lot of change (in my opinion) to performance other than, again, cheap gearing.

I don't see a need, but let's hear what others have to say.
Jeff,

I believe that is incorrect. In Errors and Omissions of FastTrack of October 2010: "Improved Turing ITR #2477 (David Karably) wheel size. The wheel diameter rules have not changed. ITR is allowed any wheel up to 17inch."

GCR IT rules: D 7 Wheels and Tires, a.1 states in the last sentence, "Cars classified in ITR may utilize any wheel diameter up to 17" or retain their stock diameter wheels if larger."

The wording I see allows any size up to 17", including those smaller than stock.

I could be wrong.

Bill