Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
GUys with actual knowledge of the 1st gen RX7 also said it could never make its new ITA weight. Until Dick proved them wrong with an actual build.

The race weight in R is close enough to the curb weight that it looks possible.
Not entirely true, Jeff, I have actual knowledge, and I was on the ITAC calls. I said, when the subject came up:
1- There seems to be some significant discrepancies about what 'equivalent' cars can weigh. Some guys say it can't be done, but they are wrong.
2- Dicks build was 'aggressive'
3- I think you CAN get an RX-7 to weight, BUT, it will take a comprehensive effort, and some higher expenses. I've gotten mine to 2100 empty. I can go 20...maybe 30 more, but that will cost me a super $$ seat to lose 8 pounds, and hollow sway bars to lose another 8, and a 6 hours easy of scraping and painting to lose the rear noise insulation worth 6 pounds. I could also lose about 6 pounds from switching from steel tailpipes to lighter alloys. So, maybe 28 total, but all but the seat is weight where I want it. (low, or to the rear, or to the right, or all three) And money out of my pocket, where I want IT!.

Which is exactly where I said we could be: At weight or slightly below, but with lots of effort and money.(Don't ask me about the %$&# hoops and $ I've spent on stupid light wheels. Grrrrr)

To me, the last 60 or 70 pounds is the hard part. Full body scrape, super light wheels, fastidious removal of all allowable components, expensive exhaust, expensive wheels, expensive seat, and on and on.