I currently run 235/40/17 R888s (or whatever takeoffs I can get for cheapola) on my car and they do just fine in the dry.

Last weekend I ran the car in the rain for the first time. I stuck the set of R888s with the most tread on them and OMFG suck!! Sliding all over the place!

My first National race is mid Feb, and Feb is notoriously wet in Houston area. So I'm shopping around for some rain tires.

I found a set of lightly used 205/45/16 Hoosier Wets and I have some 16x7 wheels sitting around I could mount them on.

I know you generally want to go a bit narrower for a rain tire, but is it okay to go that much narrower AND shorter?
Do you think the 205/45/16 are OK, or should I hold out for some 225/50/16 or 225/45/17- something that's closer to my normal tire diameter?
(I have plenty of 16x7 and 17x8 wheels to mount them on)

Keep in mind shift points and timing are already fubar due to the rain- I run a gear higher through many corners and short shift to keep the car under control, so I'm not real worried about what the gearing change is going to do in the rain.

Thanks for any info.