Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longest Day at Nelson... ?2011?

Default Longest Day at Nelson... ?2011?

On Thu Jan 13 9:48 , Neohio Enduro <[email protected]> sent:

>First and foremost, on behalf of Nelson Ledges, Neohio Region and the many volunteers that have help us put on these endurance race over the many years:
    >*
    >THANK YOU
    >--
    >
    >I would also like to thank the many sponsor that have helped all of us by defraying the cost of this event.
    >*
    >By now you may have guessed that this was the sugar coating to the bad news.
    >*
    >Neohio and Nelson Ledges are feeling the pinch of the economy.* Our sponsors are in this economy cut back also and feel that with the low turn outs, this is not money well spent.* We can not afford to host this event on a "if come" entry.* For the last two years, we have held the cost down to the 2007 levels hoping this would entice more entries.* Last year we only had 15 entries and Western Ohio with their 8 hour enduro only had 10 and they charged $900 for an 8 hour race.
    >
    >*
    >With the influx of the "Other" non-SCCA funny car event, The Lemons and The Used Care enduro, we just can not compete due to our rules structure.* While they seem to be fun event, I for one would prefer "REAL" gentlemen SCCA racing.
    >
    >*
    >To that end, we have decided to raise the entry fee to $1000 with a minimum entry of 30 cars.* This means we need $30,000 to put on this race.* Now, after hearing all that, if you are interest or have any ides how we can come up with that figure, we are open to you suggestion.* If we get more then 30 cars, we can make refunds thou that is not cast in stone yet.
    >
    >*
    >At this time, if you are really interested in seeing the 12 hour*"Longest Day of Nelsons" continue, please respond to this e-mail.* A formal "Intent To Enter" form will be sent later.* We need to know now if we should proceed with this in 2011.
    >
    >*
    >Tentatively, half of the money would be due up front with the completed Intent form and the balance due no later then 30 days before the event.* We cannot afford to be guessing on this.
    >
    >*
    >If we don't have the interest, we will drop the date or use it for a straight regional.
    >*
    >Your input is important as this is YOUR race.* The cut off for this is February 1st.*but you can keep sending you input. *I would just like having something by our February Trustee's meeting.* Cut off to drop the date is March 1st.* Please reply as soon as you can.* No response from you is a NO for this years Enduro.* Remember, at this time we are just looking for your input and not your commitment.* We know many of you are supported by your drivers, please pass this on and get their feelings..* After all these years trying to make a come back, I would hate to stop now.
    >
    >*
    >Nelson Ledges is where it all started.
    >*
    >*
    >Duane Harrington, RE
    >Neohio Region, SCCA

Doyle racing will be there. It would be great it we could get some of the competitors from the VIR 13 in the fall to compete in this event, or the competitors who expressed interest in the WOR Games 8hr for this year. I must say to others who have not competed in this event, it is great. If you have ever thought about doing it, now is the time. The 12 hours is can be done with just a couple of drivers and a couple of crew members. It is alot of track time and competition for the money.

I don't mind paying that fee for a 24 but not a 12. Sorry.
    Chuck

The economies of this game start the spiral of doom when things get tight.

We've done a lot of 12, 13, and 24 hour races since 2004 but are having a hard time finding people able to pay the freight for seats. The entry fee is just one cost associated with running an event but increases make it harder for us to fill the seat, making it harder for us to commit.

SO, I've said it multiple times before in response to these questions (and I'll send a note directly to our friends at NL in addition to posting here), we'd LOVE to do it but are completely at the mercy of drivers with funding.

K

Quote Originally Posted by callard View Post
    I don't mind paying that fee for a 24 but not a 12. Sorry.
    Chuck
    DC Region just upped it's entry to $260 for about 1.25 hours of track time.
    That's $208/hour of track time.

$1000 for 12+ hours of track time.
    That's about $84/hour of track time... if you get to use it.

Seems to be that this is a hell of a deal except it's Nelson and if I wanted to run a rally cross, I'd actually run a rally cross.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    ... except it's Nelson and if I wanted to run a rally cross, I'd actually run a rally cross.
    While I can't lie and say NL is as smooth or challenging as Mid-Ohio, I feel it regularly gets a bad rap for the track/paddock conditions. I personally really like racing at Nelson - sure the track is bumpy in spots but it's really not that bad - and it's a very fast track. I may be a bit biased as it's where I completed my driving school requirements, but I've raced there, in the car I bought from you, numerous time and always had a blast. And I believe in supporting the smaller mom/pop type tracks - NL has always treated us right (in the whopping two years I've been racing) and never with the air of superiority that we experience at MO from time to time.
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Sponsors: GoPro, PR Machine Works, SAS, Yoke's Body Shop, Signature Signs
    Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

http://www.chumpcar.com/events.php Runs a 25:25:25 race there in 2011!!
    "Worlds longest Race".
    While I race many santions," Chumpcar" works the best for the tracktime VS cost. It also is 1000$ entry, and runs on DOT 190 tires. We get 7hrs per LF tire @ Roebling road .
    I wont go out of my way to go to Nelson, mud, crappy paddock, compared to every where else that we run.
    The EC class allows IT level cars, we run one of the rental ITB Golfs for the EC class, along with the full on Chumpcar.
    The racing has been very good so far. other than black flags for passing on the yellow. CWS uses a slightly different system than SCCA. If you can see the flag station, you are under the yellow area.
    Hard times force us to look around for value. Our drivers are varied backgrounds. Former Daytona 24hr racer, Former Imsa racer, former nat record holder, hillclimb,
    Now we all just race for fun. The best reason.
    IMHO. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

If need Doyle Racing /EAC has aquired a 2ed car and can enter it as well.
    as a quick question
    What is the break even point for the the race...

Thanks
    Morey

Quote Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
    While I can't lie and say NL is as smooth or challenging as Mid-Ohio, I feel it regularly gets a bad rap for the track/paddock conditions. I personally really like racing at Nelson - sure the track is bumpy in spots but it's really not that bad - and it's a very fast track. I may be a bit biased as it's where I completed my driving school requirements, but I've raced there, in the car I bought from you, numerous time and always had a blast. And I believe in supporting the smaller mom/pop type tracks - NL has always treated us right (in the whopping two years I've been racing) and never with the air of superiority that we experience at MO from time to time.
    It's not so much the condition of the track that keeps me from racing there. It is what I have heard and seen regarding the roughness of "runoff" areas and the tire piles. The tire walls have been improved from their worst days, but what I have heard is that an off course excursion, even one that does not hit a wall, stands a good chance of seriously damaging or writing-off a car.

I'm prepared to write off the car every time I go out on track. I'm less inclined to do so if every mistake stands a good chance of doing it.

not sure if thatrs really the case, iv seen a lot of car go off and be fine, the ones ive seen become 'write-offs' would write the car off at any track

Actually, NL has big runoff areas and while not necessarily forgiving, you will not damage your car on an "off" there more than, let's say, Watkins.

What we say to NL critics--"Exactly when was the last time you raced there?"

When we did the 24 in 2007, we had one driver perch it on the wall near the end of the carousel(?) and I went off at the kink - THAT was a ride. There are a few places where the price will be high but it's no worse, all in all, than CMP or Summit, less bad than Rd Atl or the Glen, but not as wide open as VIR - to put it into context.

K

Morey,if you were asking me about the break even point, cash wise you willnever break even!!
    The entry is $900 for 4 drivers, gas is 100gal, tow is 1000miles. It is a good time, split amoung the 4 guys it is not real bad, cost wise. The winner gets 1000 to 1500, pays to third place.
    HTH, MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
    I wouldn't want to imply you are the de-facto expert, but you might have the most experience hitting things at Nelson and MO...I'm pretty sure you did a lot more damage to your car at Mid-Ohio hitting the tire barrier than you did at Nelson.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    I wouldn't want to imply you are the de-facto expert, but you might have the most experience hitting things at Nelson and MO...I'm pretty sure you did a lot more damage to your car at Mid-Ohio hitting the tire barrier than you did at Nelson.
    For the record...that was all my first season.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    It's not so much the condition of the track that keeps me from racing there. It is what I have heard and seen regarding the roughness of "runoff" areas and the tire piles. The tire walls have been improved from their worst days, but what I have heard is that an off course excursion, even one that does not hit a wall, stands a good chance of seriously damaging or writing-off a car.
    But yeah, I went off more times that I can count at NL and worst that ever happened was parking it on the tires outside of the carousel and splitting a brake line. No damage last year either despite breaking two rotors at NL, once in T4 and once in T12 - I feel "safe" there. Mid-Ohio...it took one off before the CRX had more wrinkles than a bulldog. YMMV
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Sponsors: GoPro, PR Machine Works, SAS, Yoke's Body Shop, Signature Signs
    Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Default Ominous note

Received this in the email today (some typos corrected) - On 7/7/11 8:43 PM, "Neohio Enduro" <[email protected]> wrote:

Well I've been waiting for entries but they are really slow coming in.* So slow that our Board meeting last Tuesday, we almost canceled it.* I have said it for many years now that this is YOUR race and you NEED to support it.* The 16 entries last year barely broke even let alone made for a less the exciting race.
    This just may be the last year for REAL endurance racing as it looks like there is a lot of interest it those "Junk' car races.* Not that I have anything against them but I for one like real racing
    Now f you are really planning on racing this event, I would say it is about time you got off your bottom side and get an entry and deposit in to me NOW.
    Let's sweeten the pie a little.* Carbotech Brake has come up with contingency.
    12 Hour of Nelson Ledges - Carbotech Contingency Announcement
    Carbotech Brakes*has announced*contingency prizes for the top three in each class at the 12 Hours of Nelson Ledges, August 20th.
    Cars must*be running Carbotech Brakes*with proof of purchase along with stickers on the car.* Carbotech Brakes must be on all four corners.
    Prizes will be awarded as follows:
    1st - $100*( two or more*cars in class)
    2nd - $75*( three or more cars in class)
    3rd - $50 (**four or more cars in class)
    Other possible contingency/prize awards to be*possibly announced at a later date--
    Now for those that need to know why we almost canceled, here is what I have on record as of this date.* I have a lot of promises but nothing in writing so if you're coming, get something to me within the week.
    HART Racing, Johnn Schmitt ITE Accord
    EAC-Doyle Racng, Andy Doyle* STU Dodge SRT-4
    Iron Dragon Racing, Bill Miskoe, SM* Miata
    5:01 Motorsports, Andy Cotyk, ITS Datsun 240Z
    Now you can see why we are worried.* This is not fun.
    Dorothy Harrington
    Chief Registrar
    12 Hours of Nelsons

Chumpcar has one class, handicapped by laps/vs cost. The SCCA has many classes racing . Some may have only 1 or 2 cars ... That is the result of all of the STU. ITE, etc.
    The Chumpcar NL is 25:25:25, longest race in the world!!. cash prizes!!. The best trophies.

I am pretty sure that it is sold out.( @ 50 or60cars)
    Many Ex SCCA/pro, drivers are doing the new Crap Can races. Why?? It is fun. Where else can a bug , draft a cop car?
    The tires can go 10 hrs on the LF for our car!
    Maybe it is time for SCCA to do the sprint races right, and let the crapcans run the long real races.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chumpcar has 90 entries, taking the first 75 paid.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWinkelman View Post
    This just may be the last year for REAL endurance racing as it looks like there is a lot of interest it those "Junk' car races.* Not that I have anything against them but I for one like real racing*
    Now f you are really planning on racing this event, I would say it is about time you got off your bottom side and get an entry and deposit in to me NOW.*

- Dorothy Harrington, Chief Registrar, 12 Hours of Nelsons
    (underlined and bold emphasis - mine.)

Oh, who made YOU the judge of what real racing is? If a national publication (Grassroots Motorsports) can give such events recognition status with regular coverage, who are YOU to disagree? Your comments insult those who do both lowbuck enduros AND SCCA events...

It's no wonder that with your attitude, and, by extension, your region's, that you had to cancel your race. Ma'am, it's not just the economics...
    Last edited by RedMisted; 07-26-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

I don’t know Chris, lemons or chumps may be fun but is certainly not serious racing, not as long as it allows totally subjective penalties at the whim of officials. SCCA racing maybe frustrating for its bureaucracy but at least it is fair. There was a great column in Car and Driver last spring that talked about the segmentation of amateur road racing in this country. They described lemons/chump car as suited for people who believe life should be more like reality TV.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7