Quote Originally Posted by Bill Miller View Post
Jake,

I was around through most of the ECU issue. EFI cars already had the ability to change the resistance values. The way I remember it, the original iteration of the ECU rule was 'stuff whatever you can in the original box w/ the original connections'. That was in response to not being able to police re-flashed chips. The 'stuff it in the original box' thing was a great example of trying to 'legalize' the cheating w/o giving away the farm. The problem was, not all cars had the same size boxes, and you had guys adding vacuum circuits where none existed initially. The current 'use whatever you want' model was a reaction to the fact that the 'stuff it in the original box' version didn't work.

To claim that the open ECU rule was the result of wanting to give EFI folks the same flexibility as the carb'd folks is disingenuous and revisionist history. As far as looking to the future, what ever happened to 'warts and all'? And IT rules written for what may come down the road in the future? That's a new one.
Actually Bill, the reason that the "whatever fits in the box" came to be, according to the people I spoke with who were involved in writing the rule, was to allow guys who had boards that had non removable chips an equal chance by allowing 'piggyback' boards. The idea was that as long as the piggy back board fit in the original box, the level of modification would be similar to a chip replacement or reflash.
Now, maybe some were concerned about cheating, but really, that's more a competitor issue, and the ITAC has always taken that stance. Yes, they try to write clear rules, but, it's not up to them to enforce them.

Anyway, I was the guy who brought he ECU rule into discussion, and one issue that was seriously considered WAS the fact that ECUs were getting more and more invasive, and cars were finding themselves in tough situations. (limp modes, etc). OBVIOUSLY, if we had a few issues then, we would have MORE issues in the future.
And we had issues with the rule as it stood, which was that some cars were using full blown replacement ECUs while others couldn't fit an extra atom of air in their box.
So, the reasons to change the rule had a lot to do with the availability of reasonable to program/buy/install ECUs, the increasing complexity of stock ECUs, and the desire to have rules that affect genres of cars as equitably as possible.

Roger, carbed cars have the ability to alter the fuel curve over the rpm and the load range.