Thread: Under Car Exhaust-legal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Under Car Exhaust-legal?

Seems one reads rules over again when building a new car. These two rules would seem to NOT allow the use of an under body, or turned down exhaust...I believe.

IT rules paragraph 1 g. "Exhaust shall exit behind the driver, and shall be directed away from the car body."

Glossary defines "Body - All parts of the car licked by the airstream and situated above the belly-pan/floor with the exception of the roll bar or cage." (Bold and underlined are mine.)

Since the "turn downed pipe" (any under-car-exhaust) is below that point defined as the "body", I question its legality.

Plese show me how I can use the pipe below the car...I really need it. I have raced three cars with the pipe ending in a turn-down under the car, and only now saw the words clearly.

Any thoughts?

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

I'm not sure I see the issue here Bill; if the exhaust points down it is pointing away from the body. The air space between the bottom of the body and the ground is away from the body. I've run my exhaust like that for a year or two now, and have known many others who do the same thing - I've never heard of that being an issue. Just make sure it exits behind the driver and you should be fine.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Frankly most cars exhaust I know downturn under the body, Bill.

If you are that worried about it, at the next race protest yourself and get a ruling from the stewards. Then appeal the ruling and you will have your answer cast in stone.

Air flows under the car. Therefore the underside of the car is licked by the airstream and is part of the body. An exhaust tip that points toward the ground points away from the body and is legal.
    Last edited by jhooten; 01-08-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

His point is that, as defined by the GCR, the underside of the car is NOT the body.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

But a turn down is just as much "pointed away" from the body if you define body as the sides and top of the car, as if you didn't leave out the body pan.

I think the rule is ok as is, and allows a turn down.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8