Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for rear view mirror suggestions

Default Looking for rear view mirror suggestions

I want to replace my stock review mirror... ...what is your preference and why: Wink-type panel mirrors or the large convex mirror?

TIA,

I have a Wink 4 panel and I like it fine. I just had to remake one of the mounting brackets to allow more adjustment then the stock ones. Since each car is different as to driver postion, roll bar placement, etc. the stock mounts may work for you, or not.
    I put mine all the way on the pass. side to keep it out of my direct line of sight which required more offset to the panel then the stock mounts allowed.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
    I want to replace my stock review mirror... ...what is your preference and why: Wink-type panel mirrors or the large convex mirror?

TIA,

My brother and I went with the convex mirror. I always found the wink to be too busy for my tastes. The convex seems to cover at least the same viewing area, and isn't quite as confusing on a quick glance.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

I've used this for a long time. It is curved but not convex, so much less distortion.

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5938221-five...or-curved.html

DZ

I've got a Longacre 17" mirror and I hate it. My rear window still has some ancient purple tint on it, and combined with the really convex mirror, I can't tell how close anything is behind me. I can see there's a blob back there, but I can't tell how far back it is.
    http://pitstopusa.com/i-5059997-long...-roll-bar.html

In our LeMons car, we have one of these clipped over the factory mirror, and I like it a LOT better:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Razo-...Q5fAccessories

and it's cheap!
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

+1 for the wink mirror. Love mine.
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Sponsors: GoPro, PR Machine Works, SAS, Yoke's Body Shop, Signature Signs
    Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

just bought the ebay version THX!
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Makes a big difference how far forward it is mounted. Most aftermarket mirrors are too close to the driver and cut down on field of view.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I have something like that 5-star thing linked-to above, plus a small curved formula-style mirror on the driver's door. I can see LITERALLY 180* behind me, including everything that's not already within in my peripheral vision.

K

EDIT - you can see both in this shot...

Was that formula style mirror expensive?
    I want to get a different one than the "Dumbo ears" that are on my 240SX right now, but all of the ones I see are in the $250+ range. that's way too much for a stinking mirror!!

My big problem is visibility to my left. my longacre mirror covers from driver's head all the way to outside the pass side door. fine and dandy. but I can't tell where anything is on my left side. with HANS device, I can't turn my head far enough to the side to know exactly where a guy is in the blind spot. he could be a lane over and 30' behind me, or could be a really quiet car at my rear wheel. don't know until I feel the crunch. no thanks.

I used a stick-on convex spot mirror on the driver side mirror, but that thing sucks. now I just have a tiny moving dot somehere on the mirror and still can't tell where the car is.
    I was hoping to find a curved (not convex) mirror like the Razo linked above that I could either fit into the stock housing, or find a smaller mirror with a curved lens on it.

any ideas?
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

We use the wink inside. Replace the stock factory outside mirrors (Honda mirrors are really heavy) with 6" truck convex mirrors that are mounted to the A pillar down tubes...excellent coverage, out of the wind, stable, cheap at the NAPA store.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

I use a 4-panel wink. Tried the convex and HATED it. Everything was screwy and depth perception was compromised. No way in hell was I gonna race, or even track with it. People who prefer convex mirrors must have astigmatism that gets corrected from use of such.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Quote Originally Posted by RedMisted View Post
    People who prefer convex mirrors must have astigmatism that gets corrected from use of such.

I like the convex, hated the Wink. I use the mirrors not for spatial placement but for situational awareness; I already have a pretty good idea where everybody is, I just use the mirror to verify it.

Sounds like this is one of those "try 'em both on, see what you like" kinda deals.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    Was that formula style mirror expensive? ...
    App. $64 from Pegasus

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...ID=MIRRORSPAF1

And they weigh next to nothing.

K

EDIT - No, I did NOT spend the $300+ to get the carbon one

I started out with a Wink panel style mirror, but did not get much chance to use it, as the mirrors kept falling out (it came with the car and was VERY old). My crew chief got me a 17" Longacre curved, (don't think it was convex), and I have been very happy with it. I am thinking about adding the NASCAR style buttons that clamp onto the roll cage in order to get some additional coverage.

My suggestion would be to go to the at-the-track shop and borrow one of each so you can hold them up and get an idea of what feels good to you.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Hate the Wink, use the Longacre curved. Only problem is that my big fat head blocks the cars that are a little bit back on a straight and have to use the side mirrors for that. But that's due to positioning and cage design.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Hate the Wink, use the Longacre curved. Only problem is that my big fat head blocks the cars that are a little bit back on a straight and have to use the side mirrors for that. But that's due to positioning and cage design.
    And the aforementioned big fat head...

We inherited a wink which I initially hated, but my brain quickly learned how to decipher what I was seeing and I stopped getting crossed eyed every time I looked at it! lol it is "busy" but it is totally undistorted and if you mount it properly you can turn your side mirrors out so far your blind spots go away!

Matt, to accomplish this it may help to take your wink and move the right end of it rear ward...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

I use a combination of both. The WINK for rear window viewing and the convex as side mirrors. I like the WINK for rear viewing because it doesn't mess with depth perception, and the convex to get a wide angle of any car that may be on either side of me. Also, looking through the rear window is like looking through a gun slit. So any kind of convex rearview mirror would mostly just show you the interior.

Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

The wink mirrors give me a headache whenever I look at them in people's cars. I use one of the bigger Longacre "standard" mirrors and the stock side mirrors. I adjust the side mirrors way out to minimize/eliminate blind spots. This is how I adjust my street car mirrors as well. You can get pretty much 180 degree visibility.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

I just bought some used Spa formula mirrors w/ flat glass ($80) to replace the "air-brake" stock door-side mirrors and I have one trucker round convex mirror attached to the passenger-side rollbar upright. It looks like people either hate or love both the wink or longacre windshield. I have a pretty good traffic awareness during qualifying & races but would like a better than stock option for those Friday test days when we run with GT-1 Corvettes (WHOA! Where did he come from dive-bomb moments). I think I'll try the cheaper wink first and "see" how it goes...