Thread: Short shifter

Default Short shifter

I am looking at the modern motorsport short shifter kit for our car (240z) and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEL View Post
    I am looking at the modern motorsport short shifter kit for our car (240z) and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?
    Hey Mike, is this for an ITS car? Short shifters are not allowed in Improved Touring, gotta use the stock parts...

I wouldn't worry about a short shifter- just cut the stock shifter a bit shorter and rethread the end of it. within the rules and nearly free.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Hey Mike, is this for an ITS car? Short shifters are not allowed in Improved Touring, gotta use the stock parts...
    Mike runs EP with his Z.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

I figured the rules would not allow in IT but hoped someone had used one on a street car. Also I was asleep this moring when I posted its not from modern motorsports but motorsports auto.
    An yes we already have a cut and rebent one with the brass bushings but according to the add they appear to change the pivot point and say it shortenes the shift by 40-60%.
    Not many people run the Z in EP (Ira only one I know of in our area now that Ahrens sold his.)and I have gotten a lot more useful info from you guys in IT (also a lot more friendly )
    So befor I spent $150 I thought I would ask around to see if its worth it. If anyone has experience in it let me know.

You probably could fab up something yourself to re-establish the pivot point. I think the kit just raises the point up a short bit (with tabs added to the original point), and has a shifter with an appropriately longer area below the pivot point to make up the difference. Found some comments on the kit here: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...ad.php?p=16765
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."