Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
New cars have to come with "new drivers," replacing those who leave, so we at least maintain current participation levels program-wide. And remember here that we don't primarily lose racing members because they get old and crotchety. We lose them largely because they get financially overextended, disaffected, or ultimatum'd by their spouses.
Fiscal restraint is needed at all levels of the sport - the cost of a 10:10ths engine build for STU might be roughly the same as a 10:10th SM motor if you want to find the best of every tolerance. granted one will typically last longer than the other but the point is that a cheap class can lead to disillusionment, over spending, and marital woes just as easily as an "expensive" one.

disillusioned: ask an MR2 driver
high buy in: anyone with a speedsource RX7
cost of developement: Jeff young
cost to go national racing in SM: anyone with a sunbelt, race engineering, etc... motor

I'm excited there's a place I can drop in a japanese MkII MR2 non-turbo driveline into my MkI MR2. just gotta get the japanese part allowed. and the rules need to make sense before I even try. ok, so I WAS excited...