Thread: GO PRO SD card question

Default GO PRO SD card question

So I got a Go Pro HD for Xmas. What capacity SD card would you guys recommend? Assuming I would download to my computer anything I want to keep long term, what is the minimum I should think about? 16g? Or does it make sense to to buy 3 or 4 4g cards and rotate them?

I would want to capture about 2 hours of material, at the most (double race weekend).
    Thanks.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

I bought a Go Pro Camera at their booth at the PRI show a couple of weeks ago in Orlando and they said the 16GB would be what they would recommend. Go Pro sells the Kingston brand SD card.
    Hammer
    CFR
    ITA Nissan 240sx #56
    2009 Nissan GTR
    2010 Nismo 370z
    http://www.ReedNissan.com/

My wife bought me one also and they also sold her a Kingston 16G card. The only thing is, is that its a class 4 card which I thought was the minimum rating. You can get class 10's for about the same price as the class 4 through Newegg/Tiger Direct.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Good info, thanks guys.
    Tristan Smith

What we usually do for LeMons races is to have a couple of 4gb cards and swap them when we do a driver change.

for a club race weekend, you can run all day on one 4GB card with no problems. (their website says 9 hrs on a 32GB card).

The big issue I've seen with the older GoPro cameras is battery life. Engergizer e2 batteries only last like 45min in the thing. I hope the newer ones are better on battery life.

Anyway, my recommendation is a couple of 8GB cards and a couple sets of batteries. then just swap them between sessions and you'll always have fresh batteries and plenty of memory.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Thanks Matt. The new camera comes with a small square battery, so I think that has improved.
    Tristan Smith

I use an 8gb card. Between that and the new rechargeable battery they come with (which is a billion times better than the old battery setup), you'll be able to get through any normal double race weekend, recording practice, qualifying and the race with minimal work. I usually download the video at the end of day 1 and then charge the battery that evening, but I bet you could go the entire weekend without touching it.
    EP 1990 Mazda RX-7 (used to be STU until the turbo cars scared me away, and STL rotary cars require too much ballast)
    ITS/T4 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V