Thread: Removal of factory Seat Mount Humps?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Removal of factory Seat Mount Humps?

Hi, Everyone,

I am new to this forum and to Road Racing. I am building an ITA Civic and am trying to mount a seat to it right now. I have used the search function here and see that a few people are saying that you are allowed to remove the factory seat mounting humps that are spot welded to the floor pan. Reading the rules I am struggling to find any kind of rule that gives you that allowance. Can anyone give me the specific rule of where that allowance is for IT?

You can only UN-BOLT brackets/mounts for allowable items (i.e. seats, seat belts, headliners, etc.), but you can't cut them to remove them. But, if a bracket were to be in the way or a safety-hazard, it can be 'RE-SHAPED' using a hammer (just don't knock it off). So could the humps be 'RE-SHAPED' too, why not??
    Mark
    Montero Racing (CFR)
    Plymouth Neon ITA (For Sale)
    Dodge Daytona ITB (sold)

I've removed them for each of the IT builds I've done if they get in the way of the seat mounting.

And, unrelated, to the idea that only brackets that are bolted in can be removed (versus brackets that are welded in): find that in the rules for me. It simply states something to the effect of 'brackets can be removed' and in no way specifies that that is limited to those bolted on. One can get into debates about the definition of "bracket", but not really on the method of attachment.

Thus yes, Kirk, you can remove all those welded-in rear seat brackets. I do.

GA
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 12-24-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I've removed them for each of the IT builds I've done if they get in the way of the seat mounting.
    What is the rule that allows the removal of it though?

9.1.3.D.9.e, "Front passenger seat, rear seat back, rear seat bottom cushion(s), sun visors, seat belts and their attaching hardware and bracketry may be removed."

No specifications that it's limited to only bolted-in parts.

"If it says you can, then you bloody well can!" - George Roffe, "The Roffe Corollary"

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    9.1.3.D.9.e, "Front passenger seat, rear seat back, rear seat bottom cushion(s), sun visors, seat belts and their attaching hardware and bracketry may be removed."

No specifications that it's limited to only bolted-in parts.

"If it says you can, then you bloody well can!" - George Roffe, "The Roffe Corollary"

GA
    That rul specifies which seats brackets you can remove and it doesn't say anything about the drivers seat.