Thread: Removal of factory Seat Mount Humps?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The humps not only are mounts for the seats, but also STRENGTHEN the floor pan & are part of the uni-body. Therefore they serve a dual purpose & removal is (IMHO) against the GCR. To be safe, check with your local Tech Inspector. Even though the GCR is a national rule-set, it appears that every region interprets the grey areas different.
    Mark
    Montero Racing (CFR)
    Plymouth Neon ITA (For Sale)
    Dodge Daytona ITB (sold)

I think the "hump" in this case (EF Civic, CRX)is the stamped, spot welded forward driver's seat mount. it's shaped like a "hump" and runs from door sill to tunnel. it's removable per all of the above.

Default A simple fix to this debate

It is nice to see that the debate still continues about the removal of brackets.....among other things--- "Things that don't change have the tendency to remain the same" . I go back to a request I submitted to the IT Advisory Board a in 2009, to reinstate the verbage under "Intent"..... "Other than those specifically allowed by these rules, no component or part normally found on a stock example of a given vehicle may be disabled, altered, or removed for the purpose of obtaining any competitive advantage"..... I would imagine that 50% plus of the debates aired in this site, would be eliminated. What do you think? Is removing a bracket, welded or bolted, gaining you any competitive advantage? Is removing a horn, windshield washer resevoir, light bulbs or some wiring gaining you a competitive advantage? I think that most of the competitors understand the difference. What do you think?

David Ellis-Brown

On what hand i agree with you but on the other there is always going to be someone that will try to push the "envelope" so to speak.

But i do feel that when that kind of stretching of the rules occurs , especially when it results in a real or perceived advantage that it needs to be slapped down hard!
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

Default Slapping down competitors

And that has always been the issue..... If you believe that a competitor is violating the rules and gaining a competitive advantage.... then it is our "responsibility" to stop it, file a protest, let the stewards do their job, and let the consequences send the message. My opinion.

David Ellis-Brown