Thread: 240sx steering lock disable

Default 240sx steering lock disable

What did you guys do to disable the steering lock? Any easy ways to do it that don't involve taking apart the mechanism? I got dinged for not having it disable on the new car at my initial inspection. Thanks.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

You can take it off the steering column, and when you do you will see a small shaft that locks it. You can cut or grind it off. I would remove the keyed ignition all together and just use a starter button/ignition switch.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Wow - it's been forever since I did mine; the details are a little fuzzy, but I seem to recall holding the plunger/lever/whichamathingie in while I drilled through the cylinder & plunger and put a pin through to hold it open.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

When I removed mine a few months ago, I removed the mechanism from the steering column, then drilled out the bottom and removed the spring. Then I took a die grinder to the locking pin and ground it off.

Maybe an easier way to do it would be to insert and rotate the key so the mechanism is unlocked, then run a 1/8" or so drill through the mechanism and stuff in a roll pin as Earl described. you can probably do that on the car.

However, removing it from the car really isn't that difficult. I spent 45 min trying to figure out how to do it on the car, then just gave up and got the hacksaw out and cut slots in the screws and removed the mechanism. It was out in less than 5 min and then I worked my magic. I just found some new screws of the same size when I put it back together.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Thanks. I've already by-passed all the electrics for the ignition switch with a start button and switches. I just left the key in the switch and had it turned to the on position to keep the steering wheel unlocked. That apparently isn't how you're supposed to do it.

Guess I'll take it off and file down the pin so I can put it back on. We have to keep turn signal stalks and all, you know.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    Thanks. I've already by-passed all the electrics for the ignition switch with a start button and switches. I just left the key in the switch and had it turned to the on position to keep the steering wheel unlocked. That apparently isn't how you're supposed to do it.

Guess I'll take it off and file down the pin so I can put it back on. We have to keep turn signal stalks and all, you know.

David
    If you've already by-passed the switch, why not just cut off the key flush with the switch, put it in and turn the ignition to the on position. The GCR says the wheel lock must be removed or disabled, it doesn't say how you have to remove or diable.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Just remove the whole damn thing.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Tristan is right. And furthermore it does not attach to the turn signals or any other part of the colum. It is solo and useless when bypassed.

Car Prep, Rentals and full builds.
    Details at http://www.ChrisCarverMotorSports.com

Just posting a follow-up in case someone comes across this thread. Finally got around to removing the key mechanism. Notching the screws is king of a PITA cause there's not much room and you're hanging upside down, but it still only takes a few minutes. The screws are not tight so once you can fit a small screw driver in the slot you should be able to unscrew them.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

yeah, it's a good thing all of that is pretty soft metal. If that was high-grade steel of any sort, I'd have given up. since it's aluminum/pot metal, it's pretty easy to cut through and put some grooves in.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7