Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCCA HELMET UPDATE and other news!!!!

Default SCCA HELMET UPDATE and other news!!!!

SA2000 helmets are still good thru 1/1/12. NO NEED TO BUY A HELMET if you do not need one!

Other news....as of 1/1/12 SCCA will require a HANS or similiar SFI 38.1 model head and neck restraint system. I just wanted to clear up any confusion because I realize money is tough for most and I do not want anyone being mislead into buying anything they do not need.

Good news.....Hans has dropped the Sport model by $50 so if you do decide to buy one please give me a call at 1-800-275-4667 and I will put you in the proper unit for $645 to your door with sliding tethers and fixed anchor posts which is the way to go!

LAST.....please give me a call for your holiday gifts......we do offer Gift Certificates in any amount which will make things easier on you. I appreciate your business!

Sincerely,
    Bob Zecca
    www.teamdi.com

Proud sponsor of the TEAMDI PROIT SERIES and F2000 CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

So Just over 12 months to talk them into 'not' mandating a H&N device... Get on those emails people!

In case they still force us to buy a device, do you sell any other devices that meet the SFI requirement?

Thanks!
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by downingracing View Post
    So Just over 12 months to talk them into 'not' mandating a H&N device... Get on those emails people
    Good luck with that. It's the perception of many that SCCA is in the Stone Ages because every other racing body has the requirement. I, for one, am against mandating.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

or how about the obvious middle ground of mandate something that performs well as documented by 3rd party sled tests but does not meet SFI 38.1

if i race in 2012, it will not be with a HANS. i see them as part of the problem and not part of the solution.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Good news about the helmet although I may just buy one now. I thought they expired every ten years? Is SCCA just allowing them until 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    or how about the obvious middle ground of mandate something that performs well as documented by 3rd party sled tests but does not meet SFI 38.1

if i race in 2012, it will not be with a HANS. i see them as part of the problem and not part of the solution.
    I'm with you Tom. Anything but...............

Anyone here with experience with a Defender?
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    TDI Cup issued the "defNder" to its competitors, so AJ has two years of experience with them. That's what I'm probably going to buy.

GA

I've been using a Defender for around one and a half seasons. I had my doubts at first but once it's on and I'm strapped in the car I don't notice it at all. Since the device limits the amount you can turn your head from side-to-side, you learn to cut your eyes when checking your mirrors vs. physically turning your head. That took the longest to get use to.

With the Defender it's MUCH easier to have someone help you get the belts located properly when getting strapped in but it's not impossible to do by yourself. When getting out you just have to remember to toss your belts back so they don't snag on the device. I feel better with it on, but can also see where it might be a problem if trying to exit the car in an emergency situation (i.e. belt snag).

I ran one session this year without the Defender (borrowed a friend's helmet to try out his radios). My head definitely had better side-to-side mobility making it easier to check the mirrors but at the same time my head/neck felt like a rag doll in the corners. So even beyond the safety factor in the event of an impact, the device definitely aids in simple head/neck stability due to cornering Gs which in long sessions or enduros is beneficial.

Oh yeah, I had a chance to 'use' it late in '09 when I impacted a sideways BMW at speed. I had zero post-race neck pain from that impact whereas without the device I feel I probably would've been sore at best.

Dan
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

I have used both, and like it better than the Hans.

Same concept as the Hans, but it also has the vertical straps to help with side impact, Hans doesn't. It also comes in a one-size fit's all, so you don't have to choose which one you need. There are several adjustments to fit it to you. Finally, it comes with all the goodies Hans charges extra for (sliding tethers, quick release), and is priced right about at the Hans base price, but with all the extras.

I was cautioned that I would have issues with the little cover over the belt and it would limit my head movement. Ya, I notice it's there when I put it on, but once on the track, I find it useful, much like a neck collar. It helps support my rather large pumpkin in turns lessening neck fatigue.
    Enjoy,
    Bill

When getting out you just have to remember to toss your belts back so they don't snag on the device. I feel better with it on, but can also see where it might be a problem if trying to exit the car in an emergency situation (i.e. belt snag).
    This is what is so commical about this whole stupid SFI mandate and Isaac device. Other devices actually have exercises and a twist documented on how to get the belts off. Otherwise you'll be stuck with them on. Just stupid.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    This is what is so commical about this whole stupid SFI mandate and Isaac device. Other devices actually have exercises and a twist documented on how to get the belts off. Otherwise you'll be stuck with them on. Just stupid.
    That illustrates that "complies with specifications" isn't always equivalent to intelligent.
    Enjoy,
    Bill

i too like the looks of the defNder in part because it is not a HANS and in part due to the price point.

but after the debacle with Impact's equipment and not knowing what safety equipment we might be buying that can later be rescinded, i think the whole SFI certification process is unnecessary in a modern era. i respect that others may say it is more necessary due to bogus websites, etc.

however, when you go to the SFI website, they do not list defNder as a manufacturer. i have no idea why or if the website is just slow or lazy or what. i am not trying to say that they are not approved. i am saying i would want to confirm why they are not listing it. as i noted above, it is my first pick at this point.

http://www.sfifoundation.com/

i would be seeking something from SCCA Tech that says that the defNder is an approved device before i buy one.

and my current plans are No racing in 2012. it will be a cash saving season to buy safety equipment for 2013.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I have alot of thoughts on the subject... but it comes down to ANYTHING but HANS! I won't buy one.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    i too like the looks of the defNder in part because it is not a HANS and in part due to the price point.

but after the debacle with Impact's equipment and not knowing what safety equipment we might be buying that can later be rescinded, i think the whole SFI certification process is unnecessary in a modern era. i respect that others may say it is more necessary due to bogus websites, etc.

however, when you go to the SFI website, they do not list defNder as a manufacturer. i have no idea why or if the website is just slow or lazy or what. i am not trying to say that they are not approved. i am saying i would want to confirm why they are not listing it. as i noted above, it is my first pick at this point.

http://www.sfifoundation.com/

i would be seeking something from SCCA Tech that says that the defNder is an approved device before i buy one.

and my current plans are No racing in 2012. it will be a cash saving season to buy safety equipment for 2013.
    Might be worth an email to Defnder. Their site lists it as SFI compliant.
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Been wearing a HANS for 2+years and feel necked without it. I don't know its on when in the car. I had a fairly significant impact with the T1 outside wall last July, and was damn glad I had it on. I don't use the sliding tethers for the reason that I wanted some side restraint. Mine is also adjusted such that I get very limited side to side motion so my mirrors must be adjusted perfectly. I was reluctant to buy one initially, but now I recommend any new driver to buy one in their initial equipment purchase. Works for me. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

I've had several large hits without a H&N device. Might have been a little soar after, but nothing major. In my closed top car, I will not use a Hans. The window net must fall down (when the car is right side up) and I believe the Hans could cause me issues getting out of the car if if were not right side up! (See Joey hand video and read the interview - linked a billion times on most race sites)

That is why (if I keep racing) I wont be using a Hans. The defender looks better, bit the risk of the belts hanging up is a concern as well. I know there are devices that use webbing tied to the body and those devices do not interest me.

I'm still for allowing folks who feel they are needed to use one but would prefer to not be required to use one.
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

1. Dont be fooled by that 1/1/2012 date. That means you have this year coming to get a new helmet. I am shopping now.

2. I race SCCA and NASA and have had to have a H&N restraint for two years. I use the Hutchens Hybrid. I prefer it to the HANS. Its different than the HANS/Defender style. I have never had an issue getting hung in my belts to get out. I also have a halo seat. I have come to realize that in the seat I just dont need to turn my head that much. Other than parking and pulling out of a parking space.
    Last edited by Cobrar05; 12-08-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

I've had several large hits without a H&N device. Might have been a little soar after, but nothing major. .
    Dale Earnhardt said the same thing. Just sayin'

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

I'm still for allowing folks who feel they are needed to use one but would prefer to not be required to use one.
    ^This. I still haven't heard anything that makes me believe there is more risk to the club in "stongly suggesting" the use of a H&N device versus mandating one.

That said, after doing some research, if I decide to continue racing with SCCA after next year it will be with the Defnder.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrar05 View Post
    Dale Earnhardt said the same thing. Just sayin'
    Very good point, given that in SCCA Club Racing we usually race at the high speeds of NASCAR, on banked tracks, and constantly right up against concrete walls.

I suggest, thought, it's best not turn this into a religious discussion, 'cause that's exactly what this is (e.g., "I've seen the light, Brothers!! Better to pray because if you don't believe in SFI, then when you die you'll go straight to hell...at least if you pray you have a chance, AMEN!!!")

<rolleyes>

GA

P.S. A lot more people have been killed by deer than in motor racing incidents...so it's probably best not drive on the street. Oh, and you should buy some of that lion repellent they sell on late night TV, 'cause I've not been attacked by one since I bought it... just sayin'...