Thread: Rally Team for Dreams

Thumbs up Rally Team for Dreams

OK, I know this isn't necessarily IT related, but I'm an IT racer - so hopefully that's all the connection I need.

As some of you may know, along with racing in IT, I co-drive in rally. Andrew Frick and I have been racing together in stage rallies in the US and Canada - with CARS, NASA, and Rally America - for the past three years. Thanks to an arrangement between RallyCar (Rally America) and the organizers of the WRC Corona Rally Mexico there is a special class that our non-FIA rally cars can compete in during the WRC event. It was with this awesome opportunity in mind that we created a charitable movement that I'm extremely excited to announce called Rally Team for Dreams!

Rally Team for Dreams is a new rally car team created to make a difference in the lives of kids facing adversity. For our debut race - the WRC Corona Rally Mexico in March 2011 - we've partnered with Camp Sunrise, an Ohio summer camp program devoted exclusively to kids impacted by HIV/AIDS. As you can imagine, these kids live their lives as underdogs, at risk even beyond their disease. Many face poverty, prejudice, violence, and other tough challenges every day. Since 1994, Camp Sunrise has been providing a therapeutic community for these kids, giving them an escape from the overwhelming emotions and social burdens associated with HIV/AIDS and providing a community of unconditional support and understanding. We think what Camp Sunrise does is pretty amazing, and we want to do all we can to raise awareness of and funding for this unique program.

We are committed to championing Camp Sunrise and telling the world about it as we prepare for Corona Rally Mexico competition. We invite you to join Rally Team for Dreams - for as little as $5 - to help make a difference in the lives of kids who need it. Details are available on our web site at www.rallyteamfordreams.org. Please take a few minutes to check us out - joining the team is fast and easy - and please spread the word, as we only have two months to make this happen! Follow us on Twitter, Like us on Facebook, and help us raise awareness!

We hope we can count on your support! Thank you, in advance, for your help with this exciting effort!

Cheers!
    Ryan
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Sponsors: GoPro, PR Machine Works, SAS, Yoke's Body Shop, Signature Signs
    Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

I'm in, Ryan. Talk to you tomorrow.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Default Thanks Bill!

I also wanted to send a big"thank you" out to the rest of you who have purchased blocks already. I know everyone is busy with holiday plans and everyone wants in your wallet, but Rally Team for Dreams is a truly unique opportunity to help raise awareness for these sick kids that don't otherwise receive much attention or support. Your participation is both very encouraging and appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ryan
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Donated, good luck!

It's an interesting approach to raise money for the race team and the organization. I'll be curious to hear how this all works out for you. I know of a few pro road race teams that are doing something along this line too.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    It's an interesting approach to raise money for the race team and the organization. I'll be curious to hear how this all works out for you. I know of a few pro road race teams that are doing something along this line too.
    I'm still curious as to how this is all going to play out too.
    But we have some extremely exciting news that I hope to be able to share in the next few days.

Also, don't know if I ever told you, but I really enjoyed your book and have let a few friends borrow it. Just waiting on them to put their money where their mouths are...
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Many thanks to Scott over at RallyBuzz for running our press release today! Head on over and check it out.
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

The global buzz is starting and Rally Team for Dreams and Camp Sunrise have been very fortunate to have several motorsports sites pick up our story.

Rally Sport Live
    World Rally Sport
    EWRC
    Motors TV
    Crash.net
    Motor Media Guide
    Rally Buzz

We'll see how it all pans out and - Press On Regardless
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Here is part of the exciting news I eluded to on the 5th...wrc.com is running a story on our mission. Check it out here: http://wrc.com/news/american-pair-pl...ico/?fid=14037 :026:

Here's hoping this will be the boost we need to drive block purchases so that we can actually make it down to Rally Mexico to compete and raise global awareness for Camp Sunrise. Currently we're raised around 5% of what we need, and we have just over a month to go.

Progress on the rally car is going well; Andrew was finally able to bolt the new motor in the Focus last night, and we're on schedule to have the car ready to run at Sandblast Rally in an effort to shakedown the new motor. Unfortunately our uber rare final drive is now sitting on the bench due to damage caused by errors committed by whatever idiot put it together.

You can check out the progress Andrew is making on the car here: http://forums.focaljet.com/road-rall...beware-17.html
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Rally Team for Dreams on Jalopnik today:
    http://jalopnik.com/5741714/rally-te...r-a-good-cause

Also, Brian at Gearbox Mag wrote a passionate article about the Rally Team for Dreams mission today:
    http://rally.gearboxmagazine.com/201...ardless-right/

That makes...
    WRC.com
    AutoWeek.com
    Jalopnik.com
    ...and over two dozen other international rally/auto related websites, a few newspapers and the nightly news - reaching 44 states and 59 countries.

Still a looong way to go in the fundraising dept and little time, but we'll press on regardless.

Andrew is buttoning up the motor swap and we look forward to testing it at the Sandblast Rally, Feb 5th in Cheraw, SC. If any of you live within a few hours drive you should come out.
    Last edited by boywonder; 01-25-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: bad urls
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Rally Team for Dreams was the fastest 2WD car, winning our class and placing 4th overall, at Sandblast Rally this weekend! The new motor is sweet and Andrew did a great job driving in what turned out to be very tricky road conditions.

However, there is no time to rest as we continue our efforts to secure funding to compete at WRC Rally Mexico in three weeks. We have received publicity and assistance from around the globe and hope to land a corporate sponsor in time to compete in the rally and raise awareness and funding for Camp Sunrise while being highlighted on the world stage.

Want to help? Check us out at rallyteamfordreams.org
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Congrats to Andrew and Ryan !!!! Hope everything works out for you.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Video from our car during SS1 at Sandblast Rally last weekend:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2cusw_evHc[/ame]
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Good stuff! My friend was there she was navigating in a Peugeot.

It was nice meeting Allison this weekend, and that lil Peugeot was very cool!

We're excited to announce that Becs of World Rally Radio, the Official Radio Station of the WRC, will be interviewing Andrew and Ryan about Rally Team for Dreams during their live broadcast from day 1 of Rally Sweden tomorrow. We're scheduled to chat around noon Swedish time (6am EST, 3am PST) so set those alarms!
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
    It was nice meeting Allison this weekend, and that lil Peugeot was very cool!

We're excited to announce that Becs of World Rally Radio, the Official Radio Station of the WRC, will be interviewing Andrew and Ryan about Rally Team for Dreams during their live broadcast from day 1 of Rally Sweden tomorrow. We're scheduled to chat around noon Swedish time (6am EST, 3am PST) so set those alarms!
    Cool you know her!

Congrats on the radio broadcast that's awesome news.

Default We're headed to WRC Rally Mexico!

Everything came together around midnight on Tuesday so we spent 14hrs on the rally car Wednesday and loaded it up and made the 24hr drive Thursday and arrived in Laredo yesterday in time to drop everything with the broker to have it shipped to León. We'll cross ourselves and drive down tomorrow. The past few days have really all blurred into one and we're totally flying by the seat of our pants, but the grand adventure has begun!

Follow our journey on:
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/RallyTeamForDreams
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RTforDreams
    Web: http://rallyteamfordreams.org
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Default Our very delayed post-Rally Mexico write up...

...can be found here:
    http://www.rallyteamfordreams.org/20...se-duh-winning

Short version...we cleaned up. Fastest 2WD car, won our class and the overall Rally America category, beating cars with double the hp, awd, and 7 figure budgets. Would have placed 10th overall in the WRC had our car owned FIA homologation papers - all despite running with limited spares, one mechanic, and losing power steering on day 1 of the rally.

The road and jumps were awesome and the fans were insane - treating us like rockstars (seriously reminiscent of when The Beatles first came to the states, I kid you not). We returned the love by posing for countless photos and signing thousands of autographs on crazy things including babies, baby food sources, and even a dog.

Fortunately the cartel allowed us to return home with our heads still attached and now we're back to being nobodys in the US.

The WRC is basically a big traveling circus and it was a great experience to be a part of it, if for only one event.

The best part is that to-date we've raised over $4500 for Camp Sunrise by selling blocks on our car. If you haven't yet, you should head over to our site and plop down $5 to get your ugly mug on our rally car - 100% of the proceeds goes to the camp, one of only a few summer camps specifically designed for the needs of kids impacted by HIV/AIDS.

Unfortunately we'll be missing Rally Tennessee this year as we blew a huge chunk of our budget competing in Mexico and the grueling stages really did a number on our car, but we will be continuing to support Camp Sunrise during the rest of the '11 season and hope to be out on the stages soon.
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams