Thread: side net installation methods (tight?!)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default side net installation methods (tight?!)

the helmet discussion got me thinking.

my right side net meets the rules but is not as tight as some i have seen. there are some that have a ratchet strap in front portion of it. mine does not.

when i crank mine down tight, it cannot be as tight as i think it should be or you cannot attach the quick release latch.

so do i use a harbor freight strap to pull it tight after it is clasped and then cinch the straps or do i just incorporate a HF strap or a turn-buckle to keep it tight?

since it appears to be acting mostly as a guide to prevent whiplash and does not have a significant load, just how stout does it need to be?

thanks,

tom

PS, i am not sure if the 1" HF straps meet SFI specs.....
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I have a safety solutions right side net in my mustang. its is a ratchet style. its easy to mount and easy to get tight. i loosen it and retighten it on a regular basis.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

When I first installed mine (kit came with the strap, ratchet, etc.) the tech inspector told me I was going to have to use a bigger ratchet strap. Apparently they'd seen a HUGE number of them BREAK...

...so, while he was going to be a good guy and not keep me from racing that day, I had to get it fixed.

SO - hee, hee! - I played the, "It's SFI approved as a kit so I'm not allowed to change it" card.

Spank.

K

So, um, Kirk...

That means you're gonna replace it in two years, right?

I mean, since you're SO concerned about the SFI spec and all...

(note that the above comments are intended in the most sarcastic way possible, and I apologize if the aforementioned sarcasm dripped on anyone in the process)
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyRacer View Post
    So, um, Kirk...

That means you're gonna replace it in two years, right?

I mean, since you're SO concerned about the SFI spec and all...

(note that the above comments are intended in the most sarcastic way possible, and I apologize if the aforementioned sarcasm dripped on anyone in the process)
    Touche. Well played, sir.

K

Dan,

i do not have the safety solutions / ratchet style. so i basically adjust mine until i can just barely latch it.

but since the latch is curved, etc., it then has about a 1/2" of "slack" back in it.

i think i may just keep it as tight as i can and still latch it and then add a HF type ratchet strap to pull it just that little bit tighter.

i have to be saving money for the new seat and H&NR......

tom
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    the helmet discussion got me thinking.

my right side net meets the rules but is not as tight as some i have seen. there are some that have a ratchet strap in front portion of it. mine does not.

when i crank mine down tight, it cannot be as tight as i think it should be or you cannot attach the quick release latch.

so do i use a harbor freight strap to pull it tight after it is clasped and then cinch the straps or do i just incorporate a HF strap or a turn-buckle to keep it tight?

since it appears to be acting mostly as a guide to prevent whiplash and does not have a significant load, just how stout does it need to be?

thanks,

tom

PS, i am not sure if the 1" HF straps meet SFI specs.....
    You're supposed to attach the quick-release latch THEN ratchet it tight, not vice versa. I have a Safety Solutions net and I ratchet it until it starts to move the upper part of the seat.

Dan
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion