Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: side net installation methods (tight?!)

Default side net installation methods (tight?!)

the helmet discussion got me thinking.

my right side net meets the rules but is not as tight as some i have seen. there are some that have a ratchet strap in front portion of it. mine does not.

when i crank mine down tight, it cannot be as tight as i think it should be or you cannot attach the quick release latch.

so do i use a harbor freight strap to pull it tight after it is clasped and then cinch the straps or do i just incorporate a HF strap or a turn-buckle to keep it tight?

since it appears to be acting mostly as a guide to prevent whiplash and does not have a significant load, just how stout does it need to be?

thanks,

tom

PS, i am not sure if the 1" HF straps meet SFI specs.....
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I have a safety solutions right side net in my mustang. its is a ratchet style. its easy to mount and easy to get tight. i loosen it and retighten it on a regular basis.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

When I first installed mine (kit came with the strap, ratchet, etc.) the tech inspector told me I was going to have to use a bigger ratchet strap. Apparently they'd seen a HUGE number of them BREAK...

...so, while he was going to be a good guy and not keep me from racing that day, I had to get it fixed.

SO - hee, hee! - I played the, "It's SFI approved as a kit so I'm not allowed to change it" card.

Spank.

K

So, um, Kirk...

That means you're gonna replace it in two years, right?

I mean, since you're SO concerned about the SFI spec and all...

(note that the above comments are intended in the most sarcastic way possible, and I apologize if the aforementioned sarcasm dripped on anyone in the process)
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    the helmet discussion got me thinking.

my right side net meets the rules but is not as tight as some i have seen. there are some that have a ratchet strap in front portion of it. mine does not.

when i crank mine down tight, it cannot be as tight as i think it should be or you cannot attach the quick release latch.

so do i use a harbor freight strap to pull it tight after it is clasped and then cinch the straps or do i just incorporate a HF strap or a turn-buckle to keep it tight?

since it appears to be acting mostly as a guide to prevent whiplash and does not have a significant load, just how stout does it need to be?

thanks,

tom

PS, i am not sure if the 1" HF straps meet SFI specs.....
    You're supposed to attach the quick-release latch THEN ratchet it tight, not vice versa. I have a Safety Solutions net and I ratchet it until it starts to move the upper part of the seat.

Dan
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyRacer View Post
    So, um, Kirk...

That means you're gonna replace it in two years, right?

I mean, since you're SO concerned about the SFI spec and all...

(note that the above comments are intended in the most sarcastic way possible, and I apologize if the aforementioned sarcasm dripped on anyone in the process)
    Touche. Well played, sir.

K

Dan,

i do not have the safety solutions / ratchet style. so i basically adjust mine until i can just barely latch it.

but since the latch is curved, etc., it then has about a 1/2" of "slack" back in it.

i think i may just keep it as tight as i can and still latch it and then add a HF type ratchet strap to pull it just that little bit tighter.

i have to be saving money for the new seat and H&NR......

tom
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Tom,

Oh ok, I understand how your net might be difficult to get tight. This thread got me thinking about the proper tension on mine as well. Here's the instructions from the Safety Solutions RSN. Clear as mud....

Installation into the vehicle:
    After determining the proper mounts for the nets, lace the nets to the anchor points with the webbing through only one
    of the bars of the 3-bar adjusters. This will allow you to easily adjust the tension on the net to get the net smooth and even.
    This part of the installation is the most tedious, but most essential part.

The tension mechanism, ratchet or over-center mechanism, can be used on the front point of the net, (most common)
    or either the upper or lower rear strap of the triangle. The placement is a matter of convenience and room. The nets are
    generally supplied with the front D-ring and webbing attached to a ratchet. This is the most common set-up. If the ratchet is to
    be transferred to one of the rear straps, the black 3-bar adjuster used on the new tension strap must be transferred to the front d-ring
    mount.

Use the front quick release to provide most of the tension on the net. The proper tension on the net is determined
    by the amount of force applied to release the quick release at the front of the net. Since this is the escape route in most
    cars, the driver needs to be able to release the net before exiting the car.

When the proper tension has been achieved for the net system, always insure that the metal 3-bar adjusters have been
    locked down by weaving the webbing material back through the 3-bar a third time. (When properly locked down, only one side
    of the 3-bar will be visible.) Trim all excess webbing after the 3-bar adjusters approximately 2-3 inches beyond the adjuster or
    tie wrap the excess down.

Dan
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

Actually very helpful, Dan.

Thanks for posting.

Just out of curiosity I've seen some cars in some other series with these style nets on both the right and left side with a typical window net on the left as well, doesn't this make it safer if you're not using any sort of halo type protection on your seat? Does anyone else do this and is it legal?

Grand-Am requires left side helmet nets in addition to the window-area net. Adds yet another layer of things to remove before departing the aircraft...

Tom, if you want a ratchet, go to The Big Orange Race Car Supply Store (a.k.a., Home Depot) and buy some of those thin-webbed motorcycle ratchet tie-downs. Then use a web buckle and proper threading to meld them together.

Edit for example: Home Depot SKU #603360.
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 12-17-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

Also note that height is a pretty big issue. My first guess put it too high. The installation instructions that came with mine described how to figure it out...

Pics at http://www.it2.evaluand.com/gti/build6.php

Finally, we ran the front mount to a seatbelt eye mounted in the firewall behind all the dash, going through at the left-most edge of where the passenger airbag once lived. That put the net flush with the outside edge of the seat halo.

K

Kirk, what kind of seat is that in your car? I'm looking to replace the El Cheapo in the Stegosaurus-8, and the Sparco Halo I just ordered a few weeks back just got cancelled. Need a replacement.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Kirk, what kind of seat is that in your car? I'm looking to replace the El Cheapo in the Stegosaurus-8, and the Sparco Halo I just ordered a few weeks back just got cancelled. Need a replacement.
    What's your budget? I bought a RaceTech for the Integra (as well as their HANS harnesses) and really like it...

Racetech is within budget. I've heard only good things about them and am leaning that way after the Sparco cancellation (which was a good deal on a close out item).

Which model did you get Greg?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Which model did you get Greg?
    The "cheap" Fiberglas one with halo; maybe the RT4009HR? We got it as a package deal with harnesses (6-pt, "RTMALWH"?) from them a couple January ago; Billiel would know the numbers but I'm thinking around $1500-1700 for everything...

One thing I preferred was that the default seat bottom was too high for me (I'm 6'1"); we bought the smaller cushion to replace it. If you prefer to be lower then order it with the shorter cushion, and if you don't like it I still have the original one (in black) and we can swap.

http://www.racetechseatsna.com

That's the one I'm looking at too, the carbon ones are decidedly OUT of budget.

Is the Racetech a side or bottom mount side, or can you do it either way? I really need to get lower in the car as is, so I will proably go with the "low" cushion as well.

Did you buy directly from them or from B-World or Flatout?

Thanks man.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

It's a side mount and we used their brackets (it was part of the package deal), and we bought it all directly from RaceTech USA. - GA

Yup thats right. I went directly to them and bought a package deal of the 4009HR, side mounts and the super pimpy and expensive Hans belts $1500 out the door
    Jeremy Billiel