Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Race At Charlotte Motor Speedway - Format?

Cool, it looks like my first race will be this or Barber, can't decide which yet. Both are about the same distance.

Simon, don't want to discourage you, but I'd strongly suggest Barber for your first race. CMS is a lot of fun, but it can tear up a car. Barber is more forgiving with much better run off.

For your first race, you may want to give Barber a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon T. View Post
    Cool, it looks like my first race will be this or Barber, can't decide which yet. Both are about the same distance.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Cool I'll keep that in mind, haven't driven either just the kart infield course at Charlotte. I'm not too worried about walls but that would suck to stuff it first time out.

Barber has torn up some cars .....

Quote Originally Posted by SPiFF View Post
    Barber has torn up some cars .....
    What track hasn't? I think he was just saying CMS had less runoff room, which from the videos I've watched seems to be true.

I wouldn't let the runoff issue affect which one you run at. Both tracks have a bunch of areas where you can hit something fairly hard if you make a mistake. However, Charlotte does have a couple, T3/4 on the banking and Turn 1, where if you hit the wall, it's likely to be a big one. On the other hand, the only time I've done any damage to my car (in 6 events at Barber and about 10 at CMS) was at Barber - once off the end of the back straight and once when hit by another car. Just don't drive like an idiot .
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by TomL View Post
    I wouldn't let the runoff issue affect which one you run at. Both tracks have a bunch of areas where you can hit something fairly hard if you make a mistake. However, Charlotte does have a couple, T3/4 on the banking and Turn 1, where if you hit the wall, it's likely to be a big one. On the other hand, the only time I've done any damage to my car (in 6 events at Barber and about 10 at CMS) was at Barber - once off the end of the back straight and once when hit by another car. Just don't drive like an idiot .
    Yeah I won't decide purely on that, 99% of the rest of my experience has been at Road Atlanta and I know what those walls can do to cars.

I just think Barber has on the whole a LOT more runoff than Charlotte. Charlotte, other than down in turn 3-4 in the infield, is pretty much a concrete cave.

Fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon T. View Post
    Yeah I won't decide purely on that, 99% of the rest of my experience has been at Road Atlanta and I know what those walls can do to cars.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I just think Barber has on the whole a LOT more runoff than Charlotte. Charlotte, other than down in turn 3-4 in the infield, is pretty much a concrete cave.

Fun though.
    I do agree, from the on board videos I've seen CMS looks a lot tighter than Barber.

Is there much of a entry fee cost between the two or do we not know that yet?

Do like me, and plan to do both. Double at the home track, Charlotte, and sunday only at Barber. No races in june or july to save up the cash.

Russ
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Myers View Post
    Do like me, and plan to do both. Double at the home track, Charlotte, and sunday only at Barber. No races in june or july to save up the cash.

Russ
    I wish I could do that. lol I'm finishing up the car right now and am on a very small budget as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    Registration will be open soon. Getting some things worked out in supps after not runnig CMS for a few years.
    Is registration going though the SC region? If the SC region runs the event will the NC ITE rules be in effect or something else? I am guessing something else but want to check as I might have an ITE car to bring down to CMS.

Ron it is NCR and CCR. Nothing to do with SC region. DLB is the plan and will have a link up as soon as possible. Schedule now is for Double SARRC/Double CCPS with Big bore and CCPS running Saturday night under the lights. Rest of the SARRCS race Sunday after lunch due to CMS quiet time until noon Sunday. Lets everyone sleep in and sleep off the late party.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    Ron it is NCR and CCR..
    Cool. So NCR ITE rules would work for the SARRC stuff I think. I hope to come and get in my races for the year since I've been MIA for 2011. Hating selling the Z and not racing with you guys this year but it was time to move on to something with EFI and no drum brakes!

this is just so hard. ron, are you aware that sarrc has a class called ITO? ITO is available for each SARRC event.

why people still register for ITE when you can points race in ITO makes me crazy

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrar05 View Post
    this is just so hard. ron, are you aware that sarrc has a class called ITO? ITO is available for each SARRC event.

why people still register for ITE when you can points race in ITO makes me crazy
    Never hear about ITO in the NCR SCCA. I'm logbooked as ITE. Where are the ITO rules?

EDIT

Nevermind, found them on the SEDIV site

http://www.sedivracing.org/2011SEDiv...ClassRules.pdf

Looks like you can't have a replica in ITO. So in ITE I will stay.

R
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 07-11-2011 at 08:15 PM.

a replica? what do you mean?

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrar05 View Post
    a replica? what do you mean?
    Of a Lola T70. Originals are a bit spendy!

We'll be back up at VIR testing this weekend and then the following weekend running it in the UTCC and maybe for the NASA race weekend if all goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Of a Lola T70. Originals are a bit spendy!

We'll be back up at VIR testing this weekend and then the following weekend running it in the UTCC and maybe for the NASA race weekend if all goes well.
    That thing is awesome!

Any updates on when the supps and registration will be open?
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!