Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Race At Charlotte Motor Speedway - Format?

That's kind of what I thought, although to satisfy the CCPS guys, I do think a double CCPS is possible as well.

The SARRC is the premiere road racing series in the Southeast. I can't believe there is anyway to get the entries we need to pay for this OTHER than a double SARRC. Single SARRCs at VIR in March and October with CCPS events are usually fairly poorly attended.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Looking at a time line I think we can run the CCPS cars with their regular SARRC group to qualify. would allow time for a CCPS and a 1.5 hour ECR. I will have the time sheet to look at Monday. Possibly run the ECR Saturday night and the CCPS first thing Sunday. Have to get creative to fit everyone in. If we get the support this race will be a fixture on the schedule in the future.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Works for me.

I totally agree with the potential for this race. I've run Daytona, and I've run Charlotte. They are different, but both are awesome.

We had something like 20 ITS cars the last SARRC race at Charlotte. I am pretty sure we could draw that again; the big ovals draw the higher power cars (I ran against 35 ITS cars when I went to Daytona).

Just need to keep the eye on the ball, which is what makes this a premiere event (like any other on the SEDiv schedule) is a Double SARRC.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshoe View Post
    Ron,

..... How about this.

.... A Double SARRC with a Double Carolina Cup.

.... Here is the kicker....... The CCP races will both be run on Saturday after the SARRC races Maybe even under the lights.... There would only be one qualifying session and that would be for the first race. Qualifying order for race two would be the finishing order of race one. With a 30 minute break between races
    .... This way we can have our cake and eat it to.

This is definitely a possibility. We actually considered an idea very similar to this 2 years ago. Each CCPS would be an individual points race completely separate from each other with an intermission between the races. Starting positions for the second race would be finishing positions from the first.
    We would need to find a fair starting position procedure for the participants that only wanted to run the second race. My thinking (and I'm only throwing out ideas and thoughts) is that we don't want to discourage anyone from participating in the second race because they did not/could not run the first. Somehow it would need to favor the first race participants with out discouraging the second race only participants. Anyway that's just details that could be worked out if this CCPS proposed double format materializes.

On another note that has been mentioned in these postings, scheduling does make a huge difference in the number of participants entered regardless of the series. The dead last event of the week end always suffers, but somebody has to be last. I have sat in on scheduling meetings, and it is not as easy as it sounds. It is not exactly fair to compare participation numbers from one series to another on a given weekend regardless of which series had the good scheduling and which one was scheduled last. There are pros and cons to ECR and CCPS, but the bottom line is that they are both GREAT series and I have participated heavily in both.

Both CCPS and ECR benefits from the main draw SARRC. To me a Double SARRC would be a very good idea regardless of which complimentary series the powers to be choose to go with.

Estus White

That works for me Estus. Double SARRC and either a CCPS or an ECR, or a Double CCPS makes sense.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Don't forget about the workers. If the thinking is to run the last race under the lights (race starts at 9:30/10:00 pm), that would be a long day, a day like the 13 hour. If the schedule is expected to have a long supper break, that could offset the long day.
    Todd Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by E-3 View Post
    Both CCPS and ECR benefits from the main draw SARRC. To me a Double SARRC would be a very good idea regardless of which complimentary series the powers to be choose to go with.

Estus White
    I completely agree with this too. The SARRC can draw the entries and either the CCPS or ECR will benefit. A double SARRC double CCPS is a killer lineup. Not sure that is duplicated anywhere else.

Steve E's idea of having the SARRC qualifying also go for the CCPS makes a lot of sense timewise.

Quote Originally Posted by tac911t View Post
    Don't forget about the workers. If the thinking is to run the last race under the lights (race starts at 9:30/10:00 pm), that would be a long day, a day like the 13 hour. If the schedule is expected to have a long supper break, that could offset the long day.
    We will most likely have 2 shifts to make the day shorter. Have to take care of our workers.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

OK, here is a thought, how about a SEDIV summer heat ECR special 3 event award. June 1.5 hr ECR in Nashville, July 1.5 hour ECR at Atlanta, and July ECR at Charlotte. Just need Butch to figure out a way to fit an ECR in in July

In order to win you must participate in all 3 events.

Release the hounds for the critique of this idea
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

I like option C but what would it be like with SRF's under the lights, on an oval?? I don't mind running with the SRF's, but in the dark... risky.
    timo

Quote Originally Posted by timo944 View Post
    I like option C but what would it be like with SRF's under the lights, on an oval?? I don't mind running with the SRF's, but in the dark... risky.
    Won't be too bad. I've run with them at 12hrs of Nelson and it is way darker there than Charlotte will be.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    Won't be too bad. I've run with them at 12hrs of Nelson and it is way darker there than Charlotte will be.
    I KNOW you will need a co-driver for that enduro, Chris. Hint Hint. cough. hint.
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    He's right. In fact, Nelson is COMPLETELY dark with the exception of a few hundred feet of front straight. And then the fog moves in...
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Either a pair of CCPS race's or an ECR is fine by me. I like the idea of the double SARRC, it definately draw's in the cars... some of which might try a cup or ECR race!
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Bash CCPS all you want. ITS drivers are too pussy to drive it anyway, they might tear up their cars...What a bunch a babies, it's always double SARRC or nothing with you guys.

Uh, wot? Who? Gots to give us some more details my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ITsediv View Post
    Bash CCPS all you want. ITS drivers are too pussy to drive it anyway, they might tear up their cars...What a bunch a babies, it's always double SARRC or nothing with you guys.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

???????

Coming from the Great Lakes Division and having raced against ITS SARRC drivers on several occasions in 2010, I'll testify as to their tactics behind the wheel. They'll race you fair, for sure, but you better be ready to fight 'em for position...
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

CCR lost money for years doing double SARRC's. That is why we have not raced there in quite a few years. Time constraints are always an issue at Charlotte more so than other tracks. Their quiet hours do not allow any racing before noon on sunday unless you are NASCAR. Scheduling is always an issue. Adding a SARRC race adds 7 qualifying sessions and 7 races as well as the requisite down time in between groups. Adding a ECR or CCPS obviously only adds 1 qualifying session and 1 race. Everything is give and take. I think we need to thank both CCR and NCR for there effort and joining to assume this financial risk. I for one will be there to support them regardless of the schedule and weather or not my group is first, second, last or at two am. Thank you to everyone ( Jeff, Ron, CCR, NCR, the workers, stewards etc. for the privilege of being able to race and have fun at Charlotte once again. Pepe.

Hmmmm, a brand new user with one post that seems to be stirring up a topic on the IT board. Posting IP address is registered in Durham NC so it is probably someone local to the region. Seems to be someone who likes the CCPS races and wants the NCR SCCA to continue with the plan of two CCPS races. And it is clearly a person who doesn't like ITS drivers, at least not the ITS drivers on this thread. I wonder who it is that feels the need to hide behind the relative anonymity of the internet?
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 01-19-2011 at 07:36 AM.

double sarrc and ecr