Thread: Electrics

Question Electrics

Newbie Question

I'm putting together an RX-7 to run ITA. If I read the rules correctly I cannot remove the headlamps, horn and similar elctrical devices. But since the engine management wires can be altered, would this include the wires to the lights, horn, etc? In reality your horn is certainly not connected if you are using a removable steering wheel.

Thanks in advance!

WJW

To be absolutely legal you need to leave the dead and dying corpse of those useless wires in place as there is nowhere in the rules that is says you can remove them. The first rule of IT is “if it does not say you can you can’t”.

You might want to pull some fuses to be safe though.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    You might want to pull some fuses to be safe though.
    Slippery slope
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Also, you could disconnect all the connections, leave some of the bulbs out, even 'accidentally' cut a few wires ( wires get cut all the time by body work and pintched looms.) But whatever you do, don't remove them.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Heaven forbid you clean it up and make it look like a proper race car.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Also, you could disconnect all the connections, leave some of the bulbs out, even 'accidentally' cut a few wires ( wires get cut all the time by body work and pintched looms.) But whatever you do, don't remove them.
    Just because it's the off season and I'm feeling particularly nasty this morning... show me where it says you can disconnect things (okay, let's be specific - headlamps, for instance). Also show me where it says you can take the bulbs out, or cut the wires, or for that matter, leave fuses out... accidentally or otherwise.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Gary, you're nasty!! But of course I must admit I was thinking the same thing...

Install blown fuses colored black in the fuse block on the dead/disabled circuits. That way the fuse nazis can't ding ya on that!!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    Just because it's the off season and I'm feeling particularly nasty this morning... show me where it says you can disconnect things (okay, let's be specific - headlamps, for instance). Also show me where it says you can take the bulbs out, or cut the wires, or for that matter, leave fuses out... accidentally or otherwise.
    It's in the same place that says the washer bottle must be connected and functional as a washer bottle and not as a radiator catch tank
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter