Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: IT-level cars coming to a National near you? B Spec Race Cars

Dave, I think you are missing the point. It is an inexpensive way to get into racing. It is still a club racing class. World Challenge and Grand Am are taking it to another level with a Pro Series aimed at getting racers noticed, and getting the manufacturers involved in racing. Theoretically one could build/buy one of these, switch from carts to cars this year regionally and go pro racing next year. Or a car owner can have somebody running regionals, one at nationals and somebody else running at one of the pro events. these are not maintenance whores, bleed the brakes change the oil every other event pads half way through the season. Not a fire breathing hand grenade that's on the dyno constantly looking for hp.
    2500 for a weekend of pro racing is not that ridiculous ( can't believe I said that), especially considering it's 3 possibilities at prize and contingency money.
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

The pro level will have to have all of the HP. That means many hours on the dyno, looking for 2hp. Just like any other small bore racing.
    Plate Karts are the worse, cuz they only have 5.8hp.The kart with 5.7 wont stand a chance. Those engine get pulled every other race.

Even the Chumpcar get s the compression and leak down every mon am. post race. When the #s get over 5% or under 185#,it comes apart.
    The 5# drop in comression means 1 tenth @ 17sec oval track lap time, or about 1.5 sec @ Sebring long lap times. Both substantial in my world.
    97hp will beat the 94hp car.

The big motor cars only get pulled when there is lots of cash on the line , or the driver got passed by the same motor /chassis combo. Other than that, they stay together until the oil # gets low. or the leak down is over 20%.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

At the manufacturers meeting I went to at the runoffs the people in the room agreed they wanted everyone to use the same rules and that SCCA club racing as controlled by the CRB would run the rule set. However while this was the desire of the 5 manufacturers’ representatives there now one can make any other sanctioning body do that unless of course the manufactures withhold support from a sanctioning body that does not comply and the car makes are large companies and who knows who makes final decisions.
    There is a buy in that B Spec should be an inexpensive rule set that would allow people to race, rallycross and solo an easy to build car. The car companies want to get people off the couch. I do not think anyone thinks pro venues for these cars will be cheap to race but they add a cool factor to the class and would give a grassroots guy the chance to measure his effort against a pro field if desired.
    If you are a B Spec club racer there is certainly risk running pro races. After all with more on the line there is a greater chance you could ball up a car and certainly the prep level will be pushed to the limit. As is often said here it is not the rule set that drives preparation expense it is competition. B Sec is like every other class you can spend whatever you want to spend.
    I am excited about the class. you do have to be realistic about expectations though.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Another idea for the pro series (serieses?) - Award manufacturer championship points way down the field, rather than weighting the front, in order to encourage broad, shallow support of lots of teams rather than big $$ support for one...

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Another idea for the pro series (serieses?) - Award manufacturer championship points way down the field, rather than weighting the front, in order to encourage broad, shallow support of lots of teams rather than big $$ support for one...

K
    I think part of that was addressed at the WC meeting on Friday that an expectation was to offer contingency money to the top three in class as well as 1st, 2nd 3rd Mazda, 1st, 2nd 3rd Chevy etc! You might be 12th overall but 1st Fiat and get contingency money! In theory, if this works out, there could be 15 people with potential for contingency money of some amount in each race.
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    84 944 ITS (sold)

So, what is the average stock hp rating of these "B Spec" cars?
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 12-05-2011 at 07:23 PM.

"Advertised" stress on ADVERTISED is between 101( FIAT) and 138 (Sonic)that I have found. Thats why there will be restrictors and weight compensations. Fiat at 2280 lbs and no restrictor, I believe the Sonic was 2800 lbs and 31mm restrictor. I've been reading so many numbers I may be off a bit.
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    84 944 ITS (sold)

So target is 90 or so whp?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleXL240Z View Post
    "Advertised" stress on ADVERTISED is between 101( FIAT) and 138 (Sonic)that I have found. Thats why there will be restrictors and weight compensations. Fiat at 2280 lbs and no restrictor, I believe the Sonic was 2800 lbs and 31mm restrictor. I've been reading so many numbers I may be off a bit.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Sounds like ITB power/weight but with a lot of new vehicles? Well, not a lot of new vehicles but four or five new platforms.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 12-05-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Slower.

Race weights are what, 2500 lbs or so? And 90 whp v. 110 or so for a good ITB car.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Slower.

Race weights are what, 2500 lbs or so? And 90 whp v. 110 or so for a good ITB car.
    FWD s-boxes with 90hp, with National classing (I assume that is coming) and manufacturer support, along with race shop built cars at $30k plus? That is sounding not so good to me.

The good thing I can see from it is maybe the SCCA modernize a bit and consider cages with the bars welded to the a-pillars and so on.

I can see the appeal for some folks but in the thread above the politicking has already begun. That immediately turned me off.

Might be cool to watch but I have no interest (personally) in driving one of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    FWD s-boxes with 90hp, with National classing (I assume that is coming) and manufacturer support, along with race shop built cars at $30k plus? That is sounding not so good to me.

The good thing I can see from it is maybe the SCCA modernize a bit and consider cages with the bars welded to the a-pillars and so on.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Might be cool to watch but I have no interest (personally) in driving one of these things.
    But you could get sponsorship! You could race national! You could be on TV! You could go professional, cause after all, you'll be supporting pro races and you'll be sure to be picked up!

Or, you could just be driving a 90hp econobox that costs more than a top level IT build and is slower to boot.

Can I wear my firesuit at lunch too?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    But you could get sponsorship! You could race national! You could be on TV! You could go professional, cause after all, you'll be supporting pro races and you'll be sure to be picked up!

Or, you could just be driving a 90hp econobox that costs more than a top level IT build and is slower to boot.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I'd totally do it. They aren't going to be substantially slower than ITB cars, once they are fully developed - probably 5 seconds at someplace like Atlanta, based on what we saw at the ARRC. And more importantly, there should be real racing. I *really* need to get my televised 1985 Laguna Seca Alliance Cup race digitized off of VHS for you to see...

K

Only if you wear the ripped one so your ass hangs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    I *really* need to get my televised 1985 Laguna Seca Alliance Cup race digitized off of VHS for you to see...

K
    No. Kirk, I really like you, but no. Leave that on VHS and in the 80s.

Settle down Beavis. Nothing to be gained from looking at my ass.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I project the lap times @ Sebring @ 2:52, ITC speeds. or our 500$ Chumpcar speed.

The racing should be very good tho.

The Payout per manufacturer may lead to a concept that has not been seen before; Drafting with aother brand car, to get by the same brand car..

SCCA and modernize dont go well together. The cages are still IT point of contact style cages,(floating).
    MM
    Last edited by Flyinglizard; 12-06-2011 at 02:22 AM.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

I just shot coffee out my nose. Oh the burn, the burn!!

Even more important, at the breakfast buffet at the hotel!!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    84 944 ITS (sold)