Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: IT-level cars coming to a National near you? B Spec Race Cars

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Do you think 5 years from now these will be ITA cars?
    ITB for many of them. Those with small restrictors in B Spec (Kia) will likely be A cars.

K

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Do you think 5 years from now these will be ITA cars?
    Nah. Super Touring Ultra-Lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Dude, you rock!
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Looked @ the Fiesta/Mazda front end. same as VW with flat control arm @ street ride height. Not good.
    I will look at the Honda and Mini also, checking for some camber gain. Protech Should have 1 or maybe 2 cars for 2012. 1 for rent, price is still TBD.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

The limit for that class *must* be 1600cc, don't ask why, just believe and do...
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    Looked @ the Fiesta/Mazda front end. same as VW with flat control arm @ street ride height. Not good.
    I will look at the Honda and Mini also, checking for some camber gain. Protech Should have 1 or maybe 2 cars for 2012. 1 for rent, price is still TBD.
    MM
    Looking forward to hearing your opinions, Mike, and to see what you decide to do...

K

Having worked with Jason and SportsCar on their two Yaris' (Yari?) I think this is a great class idea. I was skeptical at first but these things are pretty cool.

I have talked to TC @ World Challenge. Here's the story from him.

"The manufacturers have a board that determines the weight s and plates"
    That cant be good. IMHO. There has to be a one race time frame for reward weight , to keep it close. Waiting 4 or 5 races wont do it. IMHO. (pro has to be close,club can wait a few years until it is dead and move on)

I also proposed the "TV style"(" VW cup") for the race format. Run a 25 min race, stop on the front straight, invert the grid, adjust the tire pressures only, start the next heat.
    Pts are 3/4 for 1st, 2pts for P2 etc/
    I doubt that WC has enough nuts to run it that way, but who knows.

Lets face it, if it is a drive away race with cars that are slower than ITB cars, no - one will watch. If the race is a non stop passing race , people will watch. It will have to look good on TV, simple .

No TV, no manufacturers .no $.

MINI is a Bspec?? Not, but BMW has $ so they are in.
    How are they going to keep a well designed Mini in the pack of cheap crap?? Will BMW let it happen?
    Wait and see.
    The BMW has by far the best vertical CG , front suspension and brakes.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Liking the B-Spec class...

unofficial of course, but rumour has it that BMW CCA Club Racing may be adopting B-Spec as a clsss as well....

very tempting

I suspect the Mini or to Mazda will be the cars to have. The Fiat is the coolest IMHO, just too underpowered even though it's light.

Quote Originally Posted by JS154 View Post
    Liking the B-Spec class...

unofficial of course, but rumour has it that BMW CCA Club Racing may be adopting B-Spec as a clsss as well....

very tempting

I suspect the Mini or to Mazda will be the cars to have. The Fiat is the coolest IMHO, just too underpowered even though it's light.
    I think the MINI is going to be the car to have. just my $0.02
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Greg--You are correct, unless they bring its wegh up to over 3,100lbs.

SINGLE INLET RESTRICTORS.

Russ
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Myers View Post

Russ
    Well there goes that!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Myers View Post
    no, flat plate restrictors, like is SM.

the SCCA is entrusted with the rules to be run by all (so far) 4 sanctioning bodies, and the CRB is setting the weights and restrictors. From wht I hear, the manufacturers are in support of this arrangement, and I've heard that classification is base don on-track testing (and presumably results) as well as output modeling.

I have looked @ all but the FIAT, and Chevy Sonic.The Sonic runs @ 2800#. With the cars all on the same tire,I dont see the Sonic near the front after 4 hard turns, next to the Mazda @ 2300#. The FIAT needs more motor . I doubt that FIAT will have any $ and I dont see the rest plating the cars down to the FIAT power of 79@ on the rollers. The Mazda 2 is supposed to wheel dyno @ 94.
    The BMW MINI does not belong here.The build quality is Typical BMW. Not compromised for a low price point.
    If the class is for Bpec cars ,they sell for 14000$. Not 21K. BMW/MINI pays a lot to race and support SCCA, World Challenge etc. It is the $ power that brings the car here.

I just dont see BMW letting a 13K Mazda finish in front of it.

Camber gain; @ the 6inride height; MINI needs to come down about 2in, leaving a very little camber gain or zero. The rest of the cars will have camber loss with deflection @ the race ride height. Most have the control arms about flat @ stock ride height, and need to drop around 4in. Net camber loss and poor roll centers.
    Vertical CGs are about the same,except for the MINI is about 1.5 or2in lower. It is hard to get a good number with the cars @ street ride height. Regardless, they are very close to each other. The sedan versions are usually better, CG and aero wise, but have not been listed yet.
    I would like the Toyota Yaris sedan.

The cars will be slow, ITB ITC, speeds @ 2300# and 100hp.

I forwarded my "VW cup" race format,"TV friendly", TO TC Kline.
    It consist of 2 or 3, 25 min heat races. Points are awarded , 1st = 3/4 pt,P2= 2 pt P3= 3pt,etc.
    The finish is inverted for each following race. The cars dont leave the track between rounds. Standing start, with the cars spaced @ 60ft. Low point wins. It could be adjusted to fit in 1 hr. I am sure that the race will be settled in the first 5 laps. The inverted start may allow it to be racy to near the end.
    Other rumors; the $ contingencies are rumored to be even across the board,about $500 to win.
    The entree should be around 750$ per pro race, MOL
    The pro pay out will be just enough to have a net loss , after tires. The TC tires are @ 300each. No price yet on the 15intires.
    I was hoping that the top 5 could make tow money net $ gain, but it looks like not.
    Most of the details should be announced @ PRI Fri or sat.
    I'll be @ PRI fri. along with the first Champion of this class, Michael S Ogren. >: The kid thinks that he can beat me, and often does.

So Mike, if you had to make your mind up right now, would it be the Mini?

MINI USA also offers contingency dollars (in 2011). With Grand-Am it was $5K to win. For any SCCA road race class it's $500 to win.......

I would go with the MINI. My guess is SCCA and MINI USA will be very happy ($$$)with each other and SCCA will try to keep MINI happy in the long run.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    I have looked @ all but the FIAT, and Chevy Sonic.The Sonic runs @ 2800#. With the cars all on the same tire,I dont see the Sonic near the front after 4 hard turns, next to the Mazda @ 2300#.
    Be advised that there may be some more juggling with regard to restrictors and weight so the issue you point out with the Chevy does not happen. The goal for the CRB is to balance all the cars. It will be a managed class.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7