Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: IT-level cars coming to a National near you? B Spec Race Cars

Yup. We're working on possibilities through the Brimtek/RennGruppe WC team (Tristan Herbert with Cameron Conover engineering the cars).

I looked at the 2 at the ARRC (sorry I missed you, Simon!). It was pretty basic but ultimately, Spec B will be similar to an ITB car in terms of performance - maybe a little slower.

I'm thinking I'd like to do a partial year of WC races (right side of the country) plus regionals and maybe the RubOffs.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Yup. We're working on possibilities through the Brimtek/RennGruppe WC team (Tristan Herbert with Cameron Conover engineering the cars).

I looked at the 2 at the ARRC (sorry I missed you, Simon!). It was pretty basic but ultimately, Spec B will be similar to an ITB car in terms of performance - maybe a little slower.

I'm thinking I'd like to do a partial year of WC races (right side of the country) plus regionals and maybe the RubOffs.

K
    I'm hoping WC picks it up for a full season in 2013. They're only running three for 2012, all of which are far from here (GA) but it'd be awesome to eventually get there. I talked to Grand-Am a few weeks ago and they didn't have much to say right now. Here is basically what they said if you haven't already heard (or know more than I do )

-6 Races ran in conjunction with the Rolex Series/CTSCC.
    -30-45 Minutes in length.
    -Only open to drivers currently NOT holding a professional license.

That's pretty much it. He said they're waiting on manufacturer commitment in contract form before formally releasing a press release and more information.

I've come up with a huge pro list to investing in building one, the only cons I can find so far is the initial expense and the fear of it not taking off, which I think it will from all of the manufacturer excitement. Kinetic had on their website a whole B-Spec price sheet and race ready car you could pay them to build but now I can't find it.

And it looks like the regular Mini will be included. That should be an interesting prospect!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I have been following the B-spec cars to see what is happening with them. I would be interested in possibly running one depending on how they are classed.

I read before that Mazda is offering already built B-spec Mazda 2's but that most of the other manufacturers are tear down and build yourself. Dunno if this is still the case. The Mazda 2, Mini, or Ford Fiesta; one of those for me.

Revised weights and restrictor specs appear in the preliminary December tech bulletin...

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...ecember_TB.pdf

I had *not* seen anything yet from GA. That sweetens the pot.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Simon T. View Post
    I've come up with a huge pro list to investing in building one, the only cons I can find so far is the initial expense and the fear of it not taking off, which I think it will from all of the manufacturer excitement. .
    The good thing is they will (not sure if it's official) be the new T4 class in 2013. SCCA is pushing this one hard. They'll make a home for it one way or another.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    The good thing is they will (not sure if it's official) be the new T4 class in 2013. SCCA is pushing this one hard. They'll make a home for it one way or another.
    Yep I read that, so at the very least it could be big in club racing.

Okay - dumb question. The TB is amending something but the 2011 GCR doesn't have any B Spec spec lines. What am I missing...?

K

Okay - dumb question. The TB is amending something but the 2011 GCR doesn't have any B Spec spec lines. What am I missing...?

K
    http://www.scca.com/assets/GCR-Updat...ovFastrack.pdf

Go to the SS rules, page 583, they don't actually mention B-Spec:

"34. For each of the following cars in SSC, Fiat 500 (2011-12), Ford
    Fiesta 4 door (2010-11), Honda Fit 5 door (2009-2011), Nissan
    Versa 4-5 door (2010-2011), Mazda2 4 door (2010-2011) and
    Toyota Yaris 2-4 door (2010-2011), the following apply:

Interiors may be removed, including seats, seat brackets, carpet,
    carpet padding, OEM seat belts, interior trim and headliners. OEM
    radio and air conditioner may be removed. Heaters and all duct
    work must remain, except duct work that goes under seats.

Maximum 2.5 degrees negative chamber on front and rear;
    MacPherson strut suspension may decamber wheels by the use
    of eccentric bushings at control arm pivot points, by the use of
    eccentric bushings at the strut-to-spindle, and/or by use of slotted adjusters at the top of the strut mounting plate. If upper strut slotted plates are used, they shall be located on existing chassis structure, utilizing the OEM bolt holes and may not serve as reinforcement for that structure. On other forms of suspension, camber adjustment may be achieved by the use of shims and/or eccentric bushings.

Ride Height: Minimum ride height is five (5) inches, to be measured without driver at the lowest point of the rocker panels, but not to include welded seams or fasteners.

Suspension: Any OEM or aftermarket non-adjustable shock absorber
    intended for the specific make, model and year car is permitted.
    The shock absorber must be installed in the stock mounting location.Remote reservoir shocks are not permitted. Any springs up to a maximum spring rate of 500 pounds may be used. The spring
    must be installed in the stock location. Threaded shock bodies or
    adjusters may be used.

Simon better at GCR than Kirk. Wow.

The first batch of B spec cars we added in May. More added since. I think there are two left that are ready to go but we have to wait for the cars to be released.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Jeff,
    When the BOD suspended the 2.5 rule one of the arguments was the Board wanted active management of the classes rather than the arbitrary effects of 2.5. The CRB seems to have taken that message to heart and are working to come up with long term strategies to make the classes and categories stronger.
    In the end however the BOD has to vote to confirm any proposed changes. I hope that the Board will have the courage to support the CRB in this task. Sometimes it is very hard for members of the board to support that hurts a few of their members.
    Dick
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Is the Chevy Sonic or the Cruze in?? We have a in @ Chevy and would like to race one of these.
    Otherwise, the Mini is the only car for us to consider. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    Simon better at GCR than Kirk. Wow.

The first batch of B spec cars we added in May. More added since. I think there are two left that are ready to go but we have to wait for the cars to be released.
    The student becomes the master. It is the way of the world, old one.

Actually, "Simon actually READING the GCR better than Kirk typing, 'find b spec' then giving up and going to crowdsourcing." THANKS, Simon! I plead "busy."

K

EDIT - any hints at the higher echelons from VW re: the Polo, Dick...? Hmmm?

The student becomes the master. It is the way of the world, old one.

Actually, "Simon actually READING the GCR better than Kirk typing, 'find b spec' then giving up and going to crowdsourcing." THANKS, Simon! I plead "busy."

K

EDIT - any hints at the higher echelons from VW re: the Polo, Dick...? Hmmm?
    Haha no problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    Is the Chevy Sonic or the Cruze in?? We have a in @ Chevy and would like to race one of these.
    Otherwise, the Mini is the only car for us to consider. MM
    Sonic will be in when the car is introduced.
    Specs are ready but we have to wait for Chevy.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Kirk,
    I have heard nothing on any VW. If you have an in tell them to come on down.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    Kirk,
    I have heard nothing on any VW. If you have an in tell them to come on down.
    Yeah - I wish. I think that's on Cameron and Tristan's to-do list...

K

Random reading off Kinetic's website:

For 2012, a number of racing sanctioning bodies have created a new segment of race cars called B-Spec that targets the sub-compact market. Manufacturers have a keen interest in expanding the popularity of this segment by introducing more clients to driving smaller cars that are fun to drive, fuel efficient with and handle well.

The aim of the series is to provide (relatively) cheap access to racing, with the intention of the sanctioning bodies to maintain a single “spec” for the cars so that they can compete in any series with minimal changes (vinyl, tires etc).

What Does It Cost ?

Cost Of Base new car – Approx $13,600
    Kinetic Motorsports Kit To Equip Car : $14,400
    Kinetic Motorsports charge to build the car if you choose not to do it yourself: $6,000
    Total If you build the car: $28,000
    Total if Kinetic Motorsports Builds the car: $34,000 plus tax

The Kia Rio 5 has been selected to represent the Kia brand in this category and has been built to compete against other B-Spec models such as the Mazda 2, Honda Fit, Mini, Fiat 500, GM Sonic, Ford Fiesta etc.

The sanctioning bodies that are currently participating are:

World Challenge - Each B-Spec car would race against other B-Spec cars in a class race at major racing venues.

Grand-Am – Each B-Spec car would race in a support race series for the main weekends – also racing against other B-spec cars at prominent locations around the country.

SCCA – Each B-Spec car would race against other B-spec cars in the series alongside a wider group of show-room stock C class – allowing campaigning of the car at a myriad of events and locations, regional and national race events.

NASA – Each B-Spec car would compete in its own class at events around the country

How Do I Become Involved?

Contact Kinetic Motorsports, who will be the designated supplier of the kit.

Each kit will include:
    Roll-cage kit
    Seat
    Fire system
    Quick disconnect steering wheel
    Harness/belt system

Sanctioning body defined window, debris and cockpit nets.
    Set of non-adjustable shocks
    Set of spec wheel rims
    Set of Spec tires for your designated series
    Oil sump pan expansion kit and pick-up extension
    Complete build instructions.

Kinetic Motorsports can assist with the build process if you feel you don’t want to do this yourself.

Kinetic is currently working on a detailed online purchasing scheme for parts with Kia/Mobis directly that will yield better than dealer pricing on the parts for your B-Spec racer.

Dealers are encouraged to use this opportunity to not only campaign and race the cars they sell, but to also allow for the car to be a showroom piece in between races to act as a marketing tool. As the Kia Racing/Kinetic team come to the dealer’s region for their respective races, dealers will be encouraged to participate with their cars at those same events.

Most dealers are having their own staff work-on and build the cars and will find that it is a hugely successful focus project for staff to rally around and the esprit de corps and sense of pride that is generated by the project is extremely powerful within the dealership.

What Will Kinetic Motorsports’s Role Be In B-Spec For 2012 ?

Kinetic Motorsports will campaign 4 Rio 5 B-Spec cars at race events that it will be attending with both its Grand-American Forte Koup program and World Challenge Optima Turbo program. Both Series operate big professionally-run race events. The B-spec race would be only open to amateur racers (no one who has carried a Pro-license in the past 3 years).

Currently the sanctioning bodies are planning the following Events:

World Challenge: 3 race weekends – Miller Utah, Grand-Prix Detroit, Mosport Canada. They plan approx. 9 races at these three weekends – 30 min Sprint race – 5 min break – 30 min race on one day. The following day would be a 45 min race.

Grand-American: They plan 6 race weekends with a single 40-50 min race to be run as a support race for other professional race events. – This is the same format as currently used and would be similar to MX 5 Cup or PCA Club Racing.

Kinetic Motorsports will have its main B-Spec-Race Hauler in the paddock for the four cars we will campaign and depending on number of additional entrants, we maybe able to accommodate you under our awning or make arrangements for you to be parked nearby so we can assist you with set-up and coaching etc if you would like our help.

So we encourage you to bring out your cars and join us at these events and we can make the Kia Team a bigger and better thing with your presence and involvement !

You don’t have to be part of the big country-wide events and instead you can campaign the cars yourselves in club events across the country and choose to attend as few or as many as you wish.

SCCA and NASA events operate events all over the country and you can campaign your cars in the relevant classes (SCCA Showroom Stock- C SSC). You can turn up in a giant hauler and awning or a simple trailer and E-Z Up, the choice of how to do it is yours. We encourage you to use your techs in your shops to be your pit crew and have them get involved.

They had a couple cars at the Runoffs. Didn't have to look too closely to see illegal stuff with the cages in most of the cars. Bars through and welded to the B-pillars, door bars welded to the rockers, etc.

They don't have unique cage rules, right?
    Tim

Do you think 5 years from now these will be ITA cars?