Thread: IT-level cars coming to a National near you? B Spec Race Cars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    Dick. Mazda speed said that" SCCA made the rules". That is a quote. talked to them thurs , last week. We also have a SM, and are in the soft loop. That is simply what the man said.
    sigh
    Well the man is mistaken, mostly.
    B Spec is a result if Mazda and Honda working together and then trying to gain other manufacturer interest. The basic concept was to have identical specs across sanctioning bodies. The overall rule concept including the interior gutting is part of the original plan from the manufacturers.
    Also part of the concept is to have an independent third party spec shocks and springs and make other minor adjustments for competitiveness. That has been slow to happen and members were clamoring to get these cars classed so SCCA wrote the rules on these final items. The CRB has been very sensitive not to make rules that are in conflict with the manufacturer’s agreement and it has required a lot of shuttle diplomacy.
    It has been 19 months since I was first briefed in on B-Spec and others in the club were working on this long before that, please do not think for a minute that any of these decisions come lightly.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

So...anyone here still interested in B-Spec? World Challenge just announced three races for the class in 2012, rumors from Grand Am, and quite a bit of manufacturer involvement so far.

Seems like the perfect class for me. Cheap (after the initial car purchase and build), the pro series specifically Grand Am mentioned no pro drivers allowed, so it's a good stepping stone if you want to move up and affordable racing at any level whether it's SCCA club racing or World Challenge.

I just noticed there will be "T4" for B-Spec cars in 2013 I believe? I saw the Mazda 2 at the ARRC, fastest lap was a 1:51. It looked quick in the corners. This really has my interest.

Yup. We're working on possibilities through the Brimtek/RennGruppe WC team (Tristan Herbert with Cameron Conover engineering the cars).

I looked at the 2 at the ARRC (sorry I missed you, Simon!). It was pretty basic but ultimately, Spec B will be similar to an ITB car in terms of performance - maybe a little slower.

I'm thinking I'd like to do a partial year of WC races (right side of the country) plus regionals and maybe the RubOffs.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Yup. We're working on possibilities through the Brimtek/RennGruppe WC team (Tristan Herbert with Cameron Conover engineering the cars).

I looked at the 2 at the ARRC (sorry I missed you, Simon!). It was pretty basic but ultimately, Spec B will be similar to an ITB car in terms of performance - maybe a little slower.

I'm thinking I'd like to do a partial year of WC races (right side of the country) plus regionals and maybe the RubOffs.

K
    I'm hoping WC picks it up for a full season in 2013. They're only running three for 2012, all of which are far from here (GA) but it'd be awesome to eventually get there. I talked to Grand-Am a few weeks ago and they didn't have much to say right now. Here is basically what they said if you haven't already heard (or know more than I do )

-6 Races ran in conjunction with the Rolex Series/CTSCC.
    -30-45 Minutes in length.
    -Only open to drivers currently NOT holding a professional license.

That's pretty much it. He said they're waiting on manufacturer commitment in contract form before formally releasing a press release and more information.

I've come up with a huge pro list to investing in building one, the only cons I can find so far is the initial expense and the fear of it not taking off, which I think it will from all of the manufacturer excitement. Kinetic had on their website a whole B-Spec price sheet and race ready car you could pay them to build but now I can't find it.

And it looks like the regular Mini will be included. That should be an interesting prospect!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I have been following the B-spec cars to see what is happening with them. I would be interested in possibly running one depending on how they are classed.

I read before that Mazda is offering already built B-spec Mazda 2's but that most of the other manufacturers are tear down and build yourself. Dunno if this is still the case. The Mazda 2, Mini, or Ford Fiesta; one of those for me.

Revised weights and restrictor specs appear in the preliminary December tech bulletin...

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...ecember_TB.pdf

I had *not* seen anything yet from GA. That sweetens the pot.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Simon T. View Post
    I've come up with a huge pro list to investing in building one, the only cons I can find so far is the initial expense and the fear of it not taking off, which I think it will from all of the manufacturer excitement. .
    The good thing is they will (not sure if it's official) be the new T4 class in 2013. SCCA is pushing this one hard. They'll make a home for it one way or another.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    The good thing is they will (not sure if it's official) be the new T4 class in 2013. SCCA is pushing this one hard. They'll make a home for it one way or another.
    Yep I read that, so at the very least it could be big in club racing.

Okay - dumb question. The TB is amending something but the 2011 GCR doesn't have any B Spec spec lines. What am I missing...?

K

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Jeff,
    When the BOD suspended the 2.5 rule one of the arguments was the Board wanted active management of the classes rather than the arbitrary effects of 2.5. The CRB seems to have taken that message to heart and are working to come up with long term strategies to make the classes and categories stronger.
    In the end however the BOD has to vote to confirm any proposed changes. I hope that the Board will have the courage to support the CRB in this task. Sometimes it is very hard for members of the board to support that hurts a few of their members.
    Dick
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Is the Chevy Sonic or the Cruze in?? We have a in @ Chevy and would like to race one of these.
    Otherwise, the Mini is the only car for us to consider. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/