Thread: Battery Relocation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post

Love the off season.
    What is this 'off season' you speak of?
    Us 'STU/O' racers are getting ready for four nationals coming up 4 weeks from Friday.
    And a few of those weekends are taken-up with the PRI show and some other holidays.
    Rodney Williamson
    www.titaniummotorsports.com

Simon, one of the reasons the request has been turned down is that while some don't think it's a performance advantage or a "significant" performance advantage, others do. And really, any time you remove 30 pounds from 18" in front of the front axle (where the 35 is actually more due to arm moments and such ), and put it where you WANT it, well yea, it's an advantage.

So, if you allow it, you've now added another step everyone MUST do, if they want to keep up with the Jones'.

Of course, the 'safety card' is instantly played when this hand is dealt. yet, in more years of being at the track and racing than I care to admit to, I can't remember ever having the "my battery was too close to my fuel distributor and when I crashed the sparks set off an explosion and fire and damaged my car" incident occur, nor have I ever heard of one.

heck, I grenade-d a pressure plate at 6000rpm in 4th gear and the resulting shrapnel hunks (some I found were a pound or two) left the pressure plate at significant speed. My starter motor was severed in half, and fell under the car, flopping around at 90MPH. The transmission bellhousing ceased to exist. The trans was only supported in the front by the pilot bearing.The oil lines were severed. The fuel lines were spraying, parts came through the firewall, and there was collateral damage to cars around me. The power in the car pulsed on and off depending on the starter and it's wire. Sparks and oil and gas. I shut the car off and coasted to a stop a quarter mile down the track. Last I checked I didn't explode.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Off season? What's that? the 3 weeks between races in TX?

Jake, I have seen it twice once at Mid Ohio and once at Road America, both of them were VW's. I was in the race at drivers school at Road America, a Golf hit the old bridge and immediately caught on fire in the LF. The other at Mid Ohio while sitting on the Keyhole hill, Rabbit GTI harmlessly tank slapped entering chicane swung around impacted concrete and burst into flames. The fires were contained to the LF and hood.

matt