Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Relocation

Default Battery Relocation

How many times has this been brought up to change rules to allow the battery to be relocated?

I did a search on here and saw a few threads mentioning it, but why is it still illegal?

I don't see a real performance advantage but the battery being out of the engine bay usually makes for a much cleaner bay to work in, more room, etc.

I did see things of safety but IMO it's racing, there is a way to make a rule to be sure it's safe.

How would I push for this rule change?

Honestly I don't see any major performance advantage AND I don't see any other real advantage. Keep it simple, keep it as close to stock as we can, and most importantly lets kept it IT.

So I vote no sorry bud
    Stephen

In general, the batterys I've seen relocated are death on a cable. The two 5/16 bolts run through the 24ga floor pan behind the drivers seat don't seem quite sturdy enough for me. Let it get squashed by the wall. Its a long way away from me, and I like it that way.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

I prefer keeping things "OEM".

I do run a lighter battery, but all of the solenoids, fusible links, etc. are in place and utilized.

I do not try to out smart the factory engineers and believe that batteries are normally placed where they are for good reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    I do run a lighter battery...
    'Similar' in weight to OEM, right?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Factory engineers put it there because it fits and its out of the way.

Russ
    Russ

its been said that some cars already have it in the rear, but this is where the "warts and all" applies.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

I would be on board for allowing battery relocation.

Mine is located in the LF corner of the engine compartment. The fuel distributor is located just behind it along with dozens of wires and fuel lines carring fuel at high pressure. Any good hit there could result in a fuel leak and sparks, which equals FIRE! I can't move the wires as I can't more the battery and I can't move the fuel system either. But if I could move the battery I would be able to relocate some of the wires and have the room to protect the fuel lines from harm.

I'm not going to push for it but I would welcome it if it ever happened.

While the battery, washer bottle, etc. rules are there because of the original intent of IT, IT has progressed far beyond that original intent. The ECU rules are one that I don't agree with and go beyond what IT started out as. But since it's already out there I see no reason the rules can't be pushed a bit further. In my case and I would think in many others, moving the battery would result in a safer race car.

Some have said that if we keep pushing the rule set we may end up as Production Lite.
    I don't believe that will happen if some of the rules covering battery location, washer bottles were changed and worded correctly to be very specific to it's intent.

I'll get off my soap box now.
    Last edited by jimbbski; 12-07-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

You mean like "Washer bottles may be removed but all resulting openings must be covered" or similar?

Batteries may be relocated but must weigh X pounds min and be securely mounted. Would keep out the super light expensive batteries but allow the cheaper gel cells to be run. I would be happy if we could just run any battery in the stock location and get rid of the lead acid.

Love the off season.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

On super light, super expensive batteries, I woukd do better to lose at least 20# from the left front seat, and I would save money at the same time on reduced food purchases.

Russ
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post

Love the off season.
    What is this 'off season' you speak of?
    Us 'STU/O' racers are getting ready for four nationals coming up 4 weeks from Friday.
    And a few of those weekends are taken-up with the PRI show and some other holidays.
    Rodney Williamson
    www.titaniummotorsports.com

Simon, one of the reasons the request has been turned down is that while some don't think it's a performance advantage or a "significant" performance advantage, others do. And really, any time you remove 30 pounds from 18" in front of the front axle (where the 35 is actually more due to arm moments and such ), and put it where you WANT it, well yea, it's an advantage.

So, if you allow it, you've now added another step everyone MUST do, if they want to keep up with the Jones'.

Of course, the 'safety card' is instantly played when this hand is dealt. yet, in more years of being at the track and racing than I care to admit to, I can't remember ever having the "my battery was too close to my fuel distributor and when I crashed the sparks set off an explosion and fire and damaged my car" incident occur, nor have I ever heard of one.

heck, I grenade-d a pressure plate at 6000rpm in 4th gear and the resulting shrapnel hunks (some I found were a pound or two) left the pressure plate at significant speed. My starter motor was severed in half, and fell under the car, flopping around at 90MPH. The transmission bellhousing ceased to exist. The trans was only supported in the front by the pilot bearing.The oil lines were severed. The fuel lines were spraying, parts came through the firewall, and there was collateral damage to cars around me. The power in the car pulsed on and off depending on the starter and it's wire. Sparks and oil and gas. I shut the car off and coasted to a stop a quarter mile down the track. Last I checked I didn't explode.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Off season? What's that? the 3 weeks between races in TX?

Jake, I have seen it twice once at Mid Ohio and once at Road America, both of them were VW's. I was in the race at drivers school at Road America, a Golf hit the old bridge and immediately caught on fire in the LF. The other at Mid Ohio while sitting on the Keyhole hill, Rabbit GTI harmlessly tank slapped entering chicane swung around impacted concrete and burst into flames. The fires were contained to the LF and hood.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by CRallo View Post
    its been said that some cars already have it in the rear...
    You mean, like, oh I don't know, the Miata*...?

GA

* Is there ANYTHING those engineers didn't do "right" on that car...?

Bastards, it's even a gel cell stock.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon T. View Post
    How many times has this been brought up to change rules to allow the battery to be relocated?

I did a search on here and saw a few threads mentioning it, but why is it still illegal?

I don't see a real performance advantage but the battery being out of the engine bay usually makes for a much cleaner bay to work in, more room, etc.

I did see things of safety but IMO it's racing, there is a way to make a rule to be sure it's safe.

How would I push for this rule change?

It's not Illegal to relocate the battery IF the car had the battery in different locations from the factory. Sounds like a choose your horse kind of deal. In it's three years of production the four cylinder Z3 started out with a battery under the hood, and finished with it in the trunk. There's one car that's allowed to switch battery locations, and I'm sure there are more.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    In it's three years of production the four cylinder Z3 started out with a battery under the hood, and finished with it in the trunk.
    Yup... that relocation happened right after BMW took a closer look at the Miata.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    * Is there ANYTHING those engineers didn't do "right" on that car...?

Well, they never have managed to engineer the femininity out of it . And before anybody thinks I'm flinging poo, I drove a Miata for 6 years, and it was the best car for the money I've ever had. I'd be racing one if everybody else on the planet wasn't already doing that.

To answer your question seriously, the only real issue I ever knew about with Miata's was the 90'-91' crank snout issues. Otherwise they are little Japanese tanks.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Let's contemplate....LF wheel is the heaviest on the car...move battery from LF to RR and look at the scales My, why did all that weight come off the LF wheel...how can that happen??? Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!