Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: STx in DI Pro IT

Dan, I'm with Andy on his whole premise, too. And I agree with you and Ben. I, too, have a bias against allowing non-IT cars into a series designed to showcase IT cars, unless it's of value to the series.

But let's not try to justify our biases with silly illogical excuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by ulfelder View Post
    One driver's opinion: I will never, ever run Lime Rock in the Pro configuration.
    Here's something funny ("ironic" funny, not "hah hah" funny).

I've been around long enough to where I'd heard the same things before. Seems to me I heard a lot of grousing about the Bus Stop Chicane at Watkins Glen (and this is someone who almost got killed there before the Chicane after completely losing brakes at ~130mpg: me.) I seem to recall someone saying it would destroy the character of a key area of the track and take away one of the most challenging corners in racing. No lie. And I personally remember - and personally said - things about how the dogleg at Road Atlanta (10A/10B) would decimate a defining characteristic of that track and make Turn 12 a piece of cake, no-lift pussy corner. And of course, though I've not driven them there's the "variantes" at Imola, the neutering of Hockenheim, and of course the cutting off of the balls on the long LeMans straight, among other historic tracks.

But, you know what, in the end I still hear people talking about all those tracks with reverence and awe, and as far as I can tell they're not hurting for competitors to show up.

And I challenge anyone to call the Carousel at WGI or T12 at Road Atlanta "easy".

And here's the really cool thing about this proposal at Lime Rock: It's optional, you can always run it the other way any time you want. You can't do that at Imola or Hockenheim...

Try "cowgirl", it's fun and not too traumatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    I have a new name for Andy's proposed ProIT...
    Ok, that got a laugh... ;)

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    I have a new name for Andy's proposed ProIT......

Now THAT is silly. Like I said, it's PRO IT. It's successful. Why in the world would you want to potentially throw a wrench into the system that is flourishing? Especially for 1 or two cars? Again, it's not about STx, it's about ANY class that has the characteristics to screw up the races for the guys who gas built the series from scratch. Any support for GTL, EP, FP? Doubt it. Get enough cars together and create a series or run group that can support itself.

Is that harsh or exclusionary? Maybe but at some point it could be the right thing to do - FOR THE SERIES. It's not about me, obviously, as ITA doesn't run at the front of these awesome races.

Does ANYONE see more benefit that potential downside for one or two cars? As STX counts grow, then it should be considered because the revenue will offset the issues (if there are any).
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
    Most STL cars will not be faster than ITS cars and most STU cars are not any faster that ITR so its not a speed or danger issue. What you are claiming is that STX cars will screw up ITx races. How is this any different than any other combined race? ...

I agree ... so I propose that ProIT allow SRF, FP, T3, and FV too, they are all around the same speed ... think of the participation numbers!!!

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

here is the new SARCASM flag:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by lawtonglenn View Post
    I agree ... so I propose that ProIT allow SRF, FP, T3, and FV too, they are all around the same speed ... think of the participation numbers!!!
    Now that is really silly. IT cars are allowed and classed in STx because they are closely related in many ways. That's why I asked the question. No one is asking for SRF, FP, T3, and FV to be included.
    Anthony
    STU Porsche 944T
    ITB Volvo 142 (in the making)

Quote Originally Posted by anthony1k View Post
    No one is asking for SRF, FP, T3, and FV to be included.
    Yet.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

... IT cars are allowed and classed in STx ....

which is a perfectly good argument for allowing IT cars in the (yet to be announced) ProST series,
    but is an inadequate argument for the other way round

all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Particularly well said, Glenn!

PS - I was going to same something along the lines that playing "up" a class is a little more noble than playing down...
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I'm thinking of asking the series administrator to consider opening the DI Pro IT series to STU and STL cars next year. Any thoughts?
    Anthony,

On a serious note... why? What is wrong with running already existing races in regional or national races weekends?

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Now THAT is silly. Like I said, it's PRO IT. It's successful. Why in the world would you want to potentially throw a wrench into the system that is flourishing? Especially for 1 or two cars? Again, it's not about STx, it's about ANY class that has the characteristics to screw up the races for the guys who gas built the series from scratch. Any support for GTL, EP, FP? Doubt it. Get enough cars together and create a series or run group that can support itself.
    I guess you missed the smiley at the bottom... it was a tongue-in-cheek response cause I was bored at work and felt like a laugh.

I never said I disagree with your line of thought either. It's just more fun to argue and push your buttons and play devil's advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Anthony,

On a serious note... why? What is wrong with running already existing races in regional or national races weekends?

Stephen
    Stephen...nothing. I just threw out a question that fueled a spirited and fun debate. It is clear where opinions are so it sounds like a non starter.
    Anthony
    STU Porsche 944T
    ITB Volvo 142 (in the making)

Default Pro IT Series Eligibility

Anthony

I'm thinking of asking the series administrator to consider opening the DI Pro IT series to STU and STL cars next year. Any thoughts?
    We have looked at including STU cars in our Pro IT series and have decided not to take this approach in the coming year(s). Our primary reason is that virtually all of the cars currently running in STU are IT cars already eligible for the series. We want to concentrate competiton in the core classes not disperse it to alternative classes. Unfortunately this excludes the few non-IT cars in STU (primarily ex-WC cars).

Terry Hanushek
    Pro IT Chief Steward

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hanushek View Post
    Anthony

...we won't be inviting STx cars to run in the ProIT series....
    .......fortunately this excludes the few non-IT cars in STU (primarily ex-WC cars).

Terry Hanushek
    Pro IT Chief Steward
    I took a liberty or two....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by thedude12 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am new on the forums, however I will put my 2-cents in. I think this will be a disaster for ITS and ITR. Lots of these STU cars are very fast on the straight aways and slower around turns, this would hold up the ITS/ITR group. I believe it would lower enrollment in ITS/ITR and overall hurt the series
    It's like that in all classes, you have your front runners, middle of the packers and the runners up.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Me. Don't you have any interest in trying something new? It's hard to take "a lot of people's" opinions on the matter since as far as I know other than ALMS drivers no one's raced it that way...

Throw in some spice once in a while, try something new.

Just sayin'.

GA
    I agree with Mr. GA, something new is something good, like the pro course @ Mid O and the crashcar course @ the glen.

You haven't seen the chicanes at Lime Rock!
    Hey, if i was a club member and drive there every week or two, sure, why not try the different configurations. But, these days, SCCA races for Regional cars are getting pretty scarce.
    Not to mention, Lime Rock offers the highest costs for pretty precious amounts of track time.

So, to me, it's not worth the risk.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com