Thread: Sloppy shifter

Default Sloppy shifter

I have WAY too much play in my shifter when in gear. It literally moves from side to side by a good couple inches. It has caused me numerous mis-shifts and a bent valve last weekend at Sebring.

I already replaced the stabilizer bushings and (white) bushing that encloses the ball, plus it's accompanying dust seal. Items 8, 11, 15 and 18 in the below diagram.

Can anyone help with suggestions on what to do to tighten it up? Or suggestions on race-grade shifter linkage options or upgrades that others have used?

#88 ITA Integra
    CFR SEDiv

Quote Originally Posted by worthyking View Post
    Or suggestions on race-grade shifter linkage options or upgrades that others have used?
    Well, first, "upgrades" are not legal; you can use only factory (or equivalent) parts.

Second, I'd suggest that you put the car up on jackstands and crawl under with a flashlight while your wife/girlfriend/German Shepherd moves the stick around through that area of play. That way you can see where the movement is...

I would also replace 4,5,12,24, 15, 16 (although hard to tell if they're bushings or fasteners) either way, I would replace EVERY bushing, sleeve or anything plastic. Check all the clips and holes to see if they are elongated. Cheap insurance.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    I would also replace 4,5,12,24, 15, 16 (although hard to tell if they're bushings or fasteners) either way, I would replace EVERY bushing, sleeve or anything plastic. Check all the clips and holes to see if they are elongated. Cheap insurance.
    Yeah, that was my next area of attack. Good advice, thanks.
    #88 ITA Integra
    CFR SEDiv

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Second, I'd suggest that you put the car up on jackstands and crawl under with a flashlight while your wife/girlfriend/German Shepherd moves the stick around through that area of play. That way you can see where the movement is...
    TMI TMI
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_honda View Post
    TMI TMI
    Uh, that was not an inclusive ("and") list, but exclusive ("or").

I think...

you need item number 28 and the c-clip that goes around it, part #1. That missing pin connects your shifter selector rod to the trans, and the shaft is freely rotating. Either the previous owner put a bolt in there and it is not up to par with the real setup (like mine was) or you have nothing in the hole. This allows the outer shaft to rotate around the transmission shaft, thus your shifter moves a lot. This pin will tighten up the play, and eliminate the sloppy shifter. I think you'll have to put in a whole 3 bucks to fix it, then punch the pin in with a hammer.

Hope this helps,
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McWilliams Jr View Post
    you need item number 28 and the c-clip that goes around it, part #1.
    Thanks. I ordered a new one today, as well as every other piece in the linkage just to be safe (# 4,5, 12, 23, 24, 25). I didn't order a new #1 because mine is still intact and didn't think it would matter being that it's essentially a cover.

If that doesn't sort it out fully then I'll spring the $50 and get a new linkage rod (part # 13).

Thanks all for your input.
    #88 ITA Integra
    CFR SEDiv

Quote Originally Posted by worthyking View Post
    If that doesn't sort it out fully then I'll spring the $50 and get a new linkage rod (part # 13).
    This is the cause of the sloppy shifter movement in my Integra. The joint at the transaxle end becomes loose and allows the extra rotation. However, this is the only source of "slop" in my system and it is not that bad and has not once caused a missed shift, so you may have some other issue.

The lower shifter bushing will help quite a bit as well (parts 4,5,12,24). Those are the parts I had to switch when I bought my car for the street and the shifter would move 6" inches side-to-side while in gear.
    Jared Cromas
    2012-2010 & 2008 Midwestern Council ITA Champion
    2008 Midwestern Council Driver of the Year
    SCSCC Race Steward
    #111 FP/ST '90 Gold/Blk Acura Integra

Item 28 caused the slop in our shifter.

We replaced the bolt that someone put in there with a roll pin and it tightened up.