Thread: Why is the 12a so heavy in STL??

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This last post has made me think.

HOW does the STAC set weight? here's a case in point:
    We know the Integra will weigh 180 lbs or so LESS than it would in ITS. Fine. So it should be faster than ITS. We know it's power. (And it gets to make some other changes, but lets ignore those for now).

Now, take a ITS 13B rotary. What do you make IT weigh? Well, the engines are very close in curves/hp/tq. The 13B (in ITS/ST trim) comes a leeetle short, but, for giggles, lets make it a wash. So, it would weigh the same as the integra, right? Plus 2.5% for RWD.

So, whats the Integra in STL, 2420? 2420 + 2.5% = 2480?
    Now, if understand it, the assumption of the rules makers is that somebody will put that engine in the corporations best chassis. So, that be the Miata. So, a 2480 lb Miata? Now we're talking.
    Somehow, I see the PTB saying, "Hold on, don't think so". (*, and **)
    Fine, but how will extra weight be added?
    I HOPE the STAC comes up with a repeatable, empirical, documentable and systematic way of doing it.
    Otherwise, they are headed for trouble.
    If there's POOMAs going in, they better be ready to defend, and fix them.

*Also, just as a reference point, there IS an ITS Miata and, in some pretty competent hands, it hasn't set the world on fire. It's classed at 2375, and makes 160 hp in race trim.
    ** I say that because I assume they will want to add weight because I have a hunch they are creating a FWD centric class. Now, I hope I'm wrong, or that the results we've seen thus far are merely random, with no actual intent. Because it's a cool ruleset, and i'd like to see it be as open as possible, give as many formats/manufacturers/cars an equal chance, and not aimed at any one demographic.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 11-29-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com