Thread: Why is the 12a so heavy in STL??

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by AS-RACER View Post
    Yea I was basically wondering why a 12a RX7 has to weigh way more then ITA trim if you run it in STL? I was looking at the 1.8 Integra GSR which is classified in ITS, it gets to lose more then 200 lbs in STL trim. I know you can put these engines into different cars (like the miata with the rotary or the crx with the GSR motor) but, it seems like the 12a is still way to heavy. That was basically my point. Unless I'm missing something?
    Yea, I figured they hated the sound of the rotary up there in the STL rulesmakers offices.
    It made no sense otherwise! An ITS car making 185hp, LOSES 200 ponds, while an ITA car making 125 (SIXTY less!) GAINS 320!! That's a 500 pound swing! So the ALREADY faster ITS car goes even FASTER, while the Slower than ITA car goes even SLOWER. Hahaha....somebody clearly hates the rotaries!!

In other SCCA classes they allow "street porting", and have a tightly controlled easily available template that is used. Power output is well known. I'd suggest contacting members of that AdHoc (The STAC will have the CRB liasons on the call who can facilitate this).

On this board, Steve Eckridge is familiar with the template and expected outputs, IIRC.
    Further, I'd suggest classifying both the 13B and the 12A, as the 12A parts are very difficult to get these days. The 13B at a reasonable weight is going to be the better draw. I think the ITS 13B would be a good candidate as is. No porting needed. The 12A though, would require porting as nearly any Mazda chassis would be impossible to make weight with, IF the weight was to be competitive.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 11-29-2010 at 08:41 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com