Thread: December Fastrack

Default December Fastrack

Just read through the December Fastrack and a couple of things in the STU Rules adjustments jumped out at me that I need some clarification on.

Engine rules are okay, but I will need to send my VTS in to get the compression allowance from my VTS. The bigger issue, as I see it, is the head porting rule. My VTS only allows for .75" porting past the insert. My reading of the rules seems to allow a lot more.

Transmission rules, only issue is allowing up to 6 gears in any box. My VTS only allowed 5. No biggie, but just a big expen$e to upgrade the box to a 6 speed.

Biggest issue is weight. My VTS allows me to run at 2500lbs with driver. The way I read the rules, I need to be at 2650 lbs then add the driver. Thats a pretty big difference, almost 350 lbs from the VTS.

Also, is the tire rule open for all R-compounds? If I have to run the tires from my VTS, then I need to dig up some old T1-R's, or could I rum the new Pirelli's, . The added grip of the Pirelli's should allow me to compensate for the grossly unbalanced F/R weight bias my car has.

Of course I would prefer not to have to change my car, but adding 350 lbs to it, is a pretty big killer. Any ideas as to how the STU cars laptimes at Mid Ohio compared to the previous generation (Toyo R888) times? Just want to see how I potentially stack up.

Eric

Eric,

As of right now, considerations for VTS-legal - but STx-illegal - cars are being reviewed. Your best bet is to send a note to the CRB with your VTS, detailing variances from the ST rules that you see.

http://www.crbscca.com

Note that ST listed weight is *with* driver.

All DOT-approved tires are legal in STx; you are not required to run Toyos.

Given the "newness" of the category, we have no comparative lap times right now. Theoretically, World Challenge times would be the benchmark...

GA

Thanks Greg. I will scan my VTS and send it in for review. I appreciate the clarification on race weight. It just means I have to add only 150 lbs to the car, .

Lets see what the powers that be think. I would hate to go through the hoops of getting my SCCA license and towing 8 hours, then just get plain smoked by the fast guys. It may be fun to run with similar cars though and no break outs like we have up here. I am looking at events at Mid Ohio, Gingerman or Watkins Glen as possibilities.

Thanks,

Eric

The information has been submitted, . Thanks for the assistance Greg. I hope our paths cross at some point so that I can say thanks for the hand holding.

Boy you guys are very formal in the process and I just wonder why the VTS 's couldn't be accepted as a starting point for all the cars that the VTS's exist for. Adding layers of rules to encompass potential cars and engine swaps, really tends to add a layer of confusion to the whole thing. I thought that the original intent was to allow a place for ex-WC cars to race. Now it seems to me to be turning into a "Tuner" class between IT and Prod.

No issues, just want to understand the goals for the class before I spend $$$$ to change my car for a couple of races a year that will slow it down up here where it races most of the time.

Eric

A couple of comments here. Take them for what you will.

My car's latest VTS came from 1999. There is a VASTLY different setup in World Challenge now than when my 240SX ran in WC. Back then, it was required to run factory stock gear ratios, 17x7 wheels, compression limited to 11.5:1 (which gave it a spec of 215hp and 190lb tq MAXIMUM), and no splitter/wing/etc.

As for expected times, this is only my brainstorm, but take a look at the fast EP guys in your area. At runoffs, the winning cars were about the same lap times as the guys in EP. Since we have some pretty good drivers locally in EP, I'm using them as a target. I only have 7 sec/lap to catch up!

I understand that, but in Canada we don't have E Prod. The last time they ran an SCCA National at Mosport, the fastest E Prod guy ran a 1:39 and change. I don't expect that it was a representitive time as compared to other tracks and races. I am faster than that in my RX7 on Toyo RA1's. The SCCA WC guys at the last race, to the old rules, ran in the 1:30 - 1:31 range. My Cougar has gone faster than the E Prod guys with a slipping clutch and no 4th gear.

You have to remember that Mosport is a horsepower track and to get going that fast you need to be making about 350 hp at a 2600 lb weight and running Toyo's. In the CCTCC Series (WC Touring Class like cars) we have a number of guys going that fast or a bit faster and all of them are at the same HP level 325-375 depending on weight. I have done a number of lap similations with the Bosch LapSim software and with my present HP level (about 280) and the available grip from the Toyo's, I was looking at a 1:34 flat fast lap.

That is why I am asking for a comparable at Mid Ohio for STU. I can compare where I am at Mosport to the WC guys to where the top STU guys are at Mid Ohio to the WC guys. This will give me an indication as to the impact of the additional weight, engine changes etc.....

Eric

Gotcha.. I glazed over the part about you being in Canada. Mosport is just another track I haven't been to (just like everything else North of Oklahoma! ), so it didn't dawn on me that EP didn't run there.
    Wish I could help ya more, but that's all I can offer. :/

Eric, please enable PMs here on the board, and send your email address to me. - Greg

Will do Greg.