Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: STx Notes, December Fastrack

Just throwing something out there, I read u can run stu at 3200lbs with a 3.2, did they say it as to b a s52(3.2), or a s54(3.2), 3.2 is 3.2 lol

Quote Originally Posted by A.J View Post
    Just throwing something out there, I read u can run stu at 3200lbs with a 3.2, did they say it as to b a s52(3.2), or a s54(3.2), 3.2 is 3.2 lol
    No, x42 dash 3.5 slash 48, stroke 15 raised to the 32nd power, I believe...

I have no idea what you're talking about, AJ . You need to read the rules since you're responsible for making the car legal. But, the 95-99 E36 BMW M3 engine is allowed in STU at 3200 pounds, but is only allowed .040" overbore, 1/2 pt compression increase, and has to use stock camshaft lift. Read the December Fastrack for the latest iteration of the rules...

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    No, x42 dash 3.5 slash 48, stroke 15 raised to the 32nd power, I believe...

I have no idea what you're talking about, AJ . You need to read the rules since you're responsible for making the car legal. But, the 95-99 E36 BMW M3 engine is allowed in STU at 3200 pounds, but is only allowed .040" overbore, 1/2 pt compression increase, and has to use stock camshaft lift. Read the December Fastrack for the latest iteration of the rules...

GA
    took your advice n read the rules, u r correct, but what i don't understand is if i choose to run 2001 330 (3.0) e46 bmw i have to weight 3300lb, but i can also run a 99m3 (3.2) at 3200lb, with the mods allowed n what can b done to the 3.2 motor, it's gonna b interesting to balance all these cars

...it's gonna b interesting to balance all these cars
    Yer tellin' me, bro..."interesting" is a nice choice of words...

The tough pill for the M3 motor is it must have stock cam lift. I thought that sorta porked the x WC cars that this class was made for, no?
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    The tough pill for the M3 motor is it must have stock cam lift. I thought that sorta porked the x WC cars that this class was made for, no?
    It's > 3.0L. If we're gonna make it a free-for-all for any cars over 3L, might as well run them all into one class and call it, I dunno, "STO"?

There's gotta be a line somewhere. We're already tickling with that line now... If we continue to approve cars >3L into STU, then they're gonna have build restrictions along with that approval. Can't have it both ways.

GA

Trust me! I'm not complaining! Suddenly I just got a lot more competitive in STU.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    it's gonna b hard to beat a well built 3.2 s52 motor,the rules say u can go .5 lift, .40 over bore, most full race cams, vac (.407 lift, 286/272 duration , evosport, sunbelt, r more duration cams,there r stock 3.2 out there with evosport cams making 280+ whp, with a good usuable torque band, so if i was to max the rules out, more lift cam, .40 over, deep pocket piston for the higher lift cam, porting to what's allowed, according to the rules i can run bigger cams than i'm currently running, for reference, a nasa gts3 bmw with a s52 with cams, weighting around 3100lb turns 2:09's at the glen, they have more aero stuff, knowing what i know i do believe the stu limit should b set at 3.0, the limit for the wc touring cars were 2.5 n 2.8 if i remember correctly
    Last edited by A.J; 01-02-2011 at 07:21 PM.

it's gonna b hard to beat a well built 3.2 s52 motor,the rules say u can go .5 lift, .40 over bore...
    Read Da RuleZ, bro! If you enter the 95-99 M3 ("S52") engine in STU, you have to run stock lift camshafts, which on a quickie Google search reveals they're 10.2mm (.4015") lift stock...and you can't go to 12:1 compression, only 1/2 pt over stock, or 11:1.

Seriously, take some time to read the rules. You don't want to go into an event with an illegal car, as we're going to be watching these cars very carefully...

GA

Read Da RuleZ, bro!

You don't want to go into an event with an illegal car, as we're going to be watching these cars very carefully...

GA
    i'll b watching too, no more stu for me, i know phil n fred won't like that, but i think they r on the fence too, i'll b running with the guys that do the space program

On edit: DISREGARDbackground on that. - GA

I can offer you this on a personal perspective, Ben: both cars start with 240 stock ponies, but the 968 has room to grow on compression, since it's 8.3 stock and you can go to 12:1. The M3 starts with 10.8 and can only go to 11.3. How are the cams between the cars? You can go up to .5 lift; that's the stock cam on the E36 M3...?
    those damm rules,i gotta read them u r right again,i need to stop reading quotes (that's where i got that .5 lift from) the stock cam is .401 n a commonly used race cam has a lift of .407 a diff of .006, after wear n tear n measuring error, talking about cutting it close

Read Da RuleZ, bro! If you enter the 95-99 M3 ("S52") engine in STU, you have to run stock lift camshafts, which on a quickie Google search reveals they're 10.2mm (.4015") lift stock...and you can't go to 12:1 compression, only 1/2 pt over stock, or 11:1.

Seriously, take some time to read the rules. You don't want to go into an event with an illegal car, as we're going to be watching these cars very carefully...

GA
    If you read the section on the M42 sport cams you'll see that they claim two different lift spec's 10.35mm for the intake and 9.7mm for the exhaust:

http://www.metricmechanic.com/pdfs/m...ne-booklet.pdf

In the past, most manufacturers ran the same cam on the intake and exhaust side. But, when the ‘95 M3 came out, BMW chose to run their intake cam with more duration and lift than the exhaust cam. They used an intake cam with 256° duration and 10.35mm lift (same as the Shrick) but it also had 25° of VANOS added to the intake cam. And they
    used milder a 235° exhaust cam with 9.7mm lift along with VANOS to increase the low and
    midrange torque of the engine.

It's also still anchored with it's oe manifold and throttle body.

As for the space program guys, the continuing resolution only funded them at last years level. It'll be a rough few years for them, with the gridlock that's going to happen in the Congress.
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 01-02-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    If you read the section on the M42 sport cams you'll see that they claim two different lift spec's 10.37mm for the intake and 9.7mm for the exhaust...
    I'll defer the facts to you BimmerHeads. I'm only pointing out that the 3.2L approved engine has build limitations that 3L-and-under engines don't.

Personal opinion: I'm not pleased that the 3L "line in the sand" has been breached in STU; let's not go overboard and rub sand in the face here by missing these prescribed limitations... - GA

I'll defer the facts to you BimmerHeads. I'm only pointing out that the 3.2L approved engine has build limitations that 3L-and-under engines don't.

Personal opinion: I'm not pleased that the 3L "line in the sand" has been breached in STU; let's not go overboard and rub sand in the face here by missing these prescribed limitations... - GA
    I'm just pointing out that the limit's are lower than some may think. Someone may also think that the 10.35mm lift also applied to the exhaust cam, which it doesn't. Just remember that the line wasn't originally crossed by a Bimmer, but rather by the Nissan VQ.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

If one can swap engines and gearboxes between Acuri and Hondae, can the same be done with VWs and Audis?

And if I'm reading the STL gearbox rules correctly, any gear set of gear ratios can be installed in the 'box, and under the "Retrofitting OEM complete gear sets" allowance, one could mix and match from stock parts to get whatever 1st to 5th ratios one wanted...?

K

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Just remember that the line wasn't originally crossed by a Bimmer, but rather by the Nissan VQ.
    James, forgive me if it was inferred differently, but in my mind this is not a "BMW Thing" in any manner. And I do sincerely defer the facts to you that know.

Given it may come up as a question in the future, BMW drivers would be well-advised to investigate, ensure everyone involved knows those correct numbers, and ensures their vehicles meet those specs, whatever they are.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    If one can swap engines and gearboxes between Acuri and Hondae, can the same be done with VWs and Audis?
    Yes, IMO. Audi is a family member of VWoA, as is Porsche, Bentley, and whom else...?

...one could mix and match from stock parts to get whatever 1st to 5th ratios one wanted...?
    Yup. Or 6th, even...

GA, curious as to what The Prof has going through his head....

Playing with a solution to my SuperRally/hillclimb/rallycross/tarmac/ice interests again...

Pablo got so good at enduros, he's become obsolete for other fun stuff and I'm looking for options.

K

Yes, IMO. Audi is a family member of VWoA, as is Porsche, Bentley, and whom else...?

Yup. Or 6th, even...

GA, curious as to what The Prof has going through his head....
    Does VW/Audi/Porsche manufacture their own gearboxes, or do they purchase them from other sources, aka Getrag/ZF? If the boxes are manufactured by Getrag/ZF are any gear sets allowed from any Getrag/ZF box?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

So far as I know, VWAG builds their own but gearboxes that bolt up to the Golf, Jetta, et al. have been around for so long, and in so many cars, there are all kinds of ratios available.

K