Thread: STx Notes, December Fastrack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by A.J View Post
    it's gonna b hard to beat a well built 3.2 s52 motor,the rules say u can go .5 lift, .40 over bore...
    Read Da RuleZ, bro! If you enter the 95-99 M3 ("S52") engine in STU, you have to run stock lift camshafts, which on a quickie Google search reveals they're 10.2mm (.4015") lift stock...and you can't go to 12:1 compression, only 1/2 pt over stock, or 11:1.

Seriously, take some time to read the rules. You don't want to go into an event with an illegal car, as we're going to be watching these cars very carefully...

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Read Da RuleZ, bro!

You don't want to go into an event with an illegal car, as we're going to be watching these cars very carefully...

GA
    i'll b watching too, no more stu for me, i know phil n fred won't like that, but i think they r on the fence too, i'll b running with the guys that do the space program

Read Da RuleZ, bro! If you enter the 95-99 M3 ("S52") engine in STU, you have to run stock lift camshafts, which on a quickie Google search reveals they're 10.2mm (.4015") lift stock...and you can't go to 12:1 compression, only 1/2 pt over stock, or 11:1.

Seriously, take some time to read the rules. You don't want to go into an event with an illegal car, as we're going to be watching these cars very carefully...

GA
    If you read the section on the M42 sport cams you'll see that they claim two different lift spec's 10.35mm for the intake and 9.7mm for the exhaust:

http://www.metricmechanic.com/pdfs/m...ne-booklet.pdf

In the past, most manufacturers ran the same cam on the intake and exhaust side. But, when the ‘95 M3 came out, BMW chose to run their intake cam with more duration and lift than the exhaust cam. They used an intake cam with 256° duration and 10.35mm lift (same as the Shrick) but it also had 25° of VANOS added to the intake cam. And they
    used milder a 235° exhaust cam with 9.7mm lift along with VANOS to increase the low and
    midrange torque of the engine.

It's also still anchored with it's oe manifold and throttle body.

As for the space program guys, the continuing resolution only funded them at last years level. It'll be a rough few years for them, with the gridlock that's going to happen in the Congress.
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 01-02-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    If you read the section on the M42 sport cams you'll see that they claim two different lift spec's 10.37mm for the intake and 9.7mm for the exhaust...
    I'll defer the facts to you BimmerHeads. I'm only pointing out that the 3.2L approved engine has build limitations that 3L-and-under engines don't.

Personal opinion: I'm not pleased that the 3L "line in the sand" has been breached in STU; let's not go overboard and rub sand in the face here by missing these prescribed limitations... - GA

I'll defer the facts to you BimmerHeads. I'm only pointing out that the 3.2L approved engine has build limitations that 3L-and-under engines don't.

Personal opinion: I'm not pleased that the 3L "line in the sand" has been breached in STU; let's not go overboard and rub sand in the face here by missing these prescribed limitations... - GA
    I'm just pointing out that the limit's are lower than some may think. Someone may also think that the 10.35mm lift also applied to the exhaust cam, which it doesn't. Just remember that the line wasn't originally crossed by a Bimmer, but rather by the Nissan VQ.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Just remember that the line wasn't originally crossed by a Bimmer, but rather by the Nissan VQ.
    James, forgive me if it was inferred differently, but in my mind this is not a "BMW Thing" in any manner. And I do sincerely defer the facts to you that know.

Given it may come up as a question in the future, BMW drivers would be well-advised to investigate, ensure everyone involved knows those correct numbers, and ensures their vehicles meet those specs, whatever they are.

GA

If one can swap engines and gearboxes between Acuri and Hondae, can the same be done with VWs and Audis?

And if I'm reading the STL gearbox rules correctly, any gear set of gear ratios can be installed in the 'box, and under the "Retrofitting OEM complete gear sets" allowance, one could mix and match from stock parts to get whatever 1st to 5th ratios one wanted...?

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    If one can swap engines and gearboxes between Acuri and Hondae, can the same be done with VWs and Audis?
    Yes, IMO. Audi is a family member of VWoA, as is Porsche, Bentley, and whom else...?

...one could mix and match from stock parts to get whatever 1st to 5th ratios one wanted...?
    Yup. Or 6th, even...

GA, curious as to what The Prof has going through his head....

Playing with a solution to my SuperRally/hillclimb/rallycross/tarmac/ice interests again...

Pablo got so good at enduros, he's become obsolete for other fun stuff and I'm looking for options.

K

Yes, IMO. Audi is a family member of VWoA, as is Porsche, Bentley, and whom else...?

Yup. Or 6th, even...

GA, curious as to what The Prof has going through his head....
    Does VW/Audi/Porsche manufacture their own gearboxes, or do they purchase them from other sources, aka Getrag/ZF? If the boxes are manufactured by Getrag/ZF are any gear sets allowed from any Getrag/ZF box?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

So far as I know, VWAG builds their own but gearboxes that bolt up to the Golf, Jetta, et al. have been around for so long, and in so many cars, there are all kinds of ratios available.

K

If the boxes are manufactured by Getrag/ZF are any gear sets allowed from any Getrag/ZF box?
    Philosophically, from your perspective the 'boxes would need to have been installed in a family car to be able to be swapped. Technically, since gear ratios are free, Prof is thinking about what gear that have been made would actually physically fit in the 'box he already has... - GA