Thread: December Fastrack...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    While it isn't my class that would be eliminated...
    Actually, Jeff hit on the issue in the first dozen words. I'm not saying this is his attitude, but if you were to survey the SCCA membership and ask if there are too many classes and we need to consolidate, I'd wager the vast majority of them would say "yes".

And, if you were to correlate those answers to the classes that the respondent competed in, I'd wager there's a direct inverse correlation (larger classes would say "yes", smaller classes "no".)

Then if you were to ask everyone if they would be willing to sacrifice their class - regardless of size - in order to reduce the overall number of classes, I'd wager the vast majority would say "no".

And because we're a club, not a benevolent dictatorship, the situation grows.

Finally, if you think "this time it's different" I'll wager that were I to take the time to rifle through my SportsCar magazines from the early 80's (as far back as I have) you'd be surprised.

Welcome home.

GA

On edit: not intended as a personal poke but simply for illustrative purposes, but let's not forget Jeff that you were on the committee (correct?) that added yet another Improved Touring class not too long ago, to accommodate faster cars so that they didn't have to race with so much weight to fit into ITS. THAT is why we have more than "2-3 formula car classes, 2-3 production, 2-3 GT, IT, SM and SRF." Imagine your next ITAC concall if the BoD sent you a note stating "eliminate ITC and ITR, and combine all existing IT cars into S/A/B. Oh, and do your best to make them all reasonably competitive."

Just sayin'...
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 11-24-2010 at 02:54 PM.