Thread: Camber plate help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Maybe I wasn't using the right terms. The hat fits fine, there was a spacer for that. The upper spring perch inner diameter is what's too big. It looks like I've got a solution though. The perches that came with the coilovers can be machined out to fit the thrust washers/bearing. They're also much more substantial than the ones that came with the plates.

While I'm at it, what's the opinion on weld in vs bolt in plates? I got the bolt in because people have said that cutting a hole in the shock tower weakens it, but now I'm thinking that the welded plate would be better.

I consider "spring hat" to be the same as "spring perch". Now I really don't know what you're talking about.

But, if the center of rotation of the upper spring perch/hat is not coincidental with the center of rotation of the spherical in the camber plate, and you bush the spring hat to fit the shock shaft, you will break your shock shaft.

More pics. What kind of car is this?

240Z. The two pics show the problem. There shouldn't be any space between the hat and the shock shaft. On the pic with the two hats, the silver one is the one that came with the coilovers, the black one came with the camber plate. Look at the holes in the center, the black one is clearly too big, causing the spring to move around.

Hmm, sounds like you have it all figured out.

I run weld in plates, and prefer them because they absolutely don't move. The same hole is cut for bolt in and weld in, or very close to it.
    One other thing that I have on the ones I make is that the slider is steel. The advantage of a steel slider is that the bolts are Tig'd in. With the aluminum, the bolt can back out as you try to loosen/tighten the nuts to change the alignment. This can be a royal PITA! You will see folks have a slot cut in the end of the bolts on the aluminum sliders. Lots of fun!!!

Mike