Thread: BMW fuel cells

Default BMW fuel cells

With the all knowing( not being sarcastic), all seeing, omnipotent braintrust that calls IT.com their home away from home, I have a question!!
    Is there a reason why most BMWs classified in IT are allowed to have a trunk mounted fuel cell but they can be no larger than stock?
    This is not to start a biatch session!! Just something I noticed and wondered why?!?!
    .... Now, if I could only find that 46 gallon fuel cell in the back of the shop.....
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

Probably goe way back in Club History--perhaps the BMW(s) at issue liked to explode on contact.

Because of the rear suspension design, and the location of the stock tank, you can't get the cell within 12". CB
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

It does specify trunk mounted cell... so I would read that as the 12inch rule is "overruled"? Just throwing it out there! With the 318 I can't put too much weight or the car won't make it!!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    84 944 ITS (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    Because of the rear suspension design, and the location of the stock tank, you can't get the cell within 12". CB
    You can, it's just not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleXL240Z View Post
    It does specify trunk mounted cell... so I would read that as the 12inch rule is "overruled"?
    It permits the trunk mounted cell, but does not require it.

You could put the 46 gallon cell within 12" of the stock location if you want.

I would also argue, an unmodified stock tank is safer than most cells I've seen installed in Club racing cars.

You could put the 46 gallon cell within 12" of the stock location if you want.
    Well, I can't because it specifies no larger than stock capacity.

I would also argue, an unmodified stock tank is safer than most cells I've seen installed in Club racing cars.[/QUOTE]
    I absolutely agree!!!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    84 944 ITS (sold)

chris - it states that trunk mounted may be no larger than stock capacity. A larger cell may be placed such that it is within 12" - following the standard cell rules in the ITCS. it's A or B (or C - keep stock tank).

320 i, Stock tanks are way better than any cell location. Unless they get rusty..
    They are 5 in off of the ground , infront of the axle. cant get any better that!
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    320 i, Stock tanks are way better than any cell location. Unless they get rusty..
    They are 5 in off of the ground , infront of the axle. cant get any better that!
    Not sure I'd hold the 320 up as a good example. The location is great, but it has that awful rubber hose connecting the two tanks - with the drive shaft and the stock exhaust running right through the middle. Still may be better than a lot of cells though.